Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading motherboard - How to & compatability

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vinny_Vally

Vinny_Vally

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hello,

I've recently purchased some new RAM and it is 3mm taller than my old RAM. Sadly, this means that it is too tall to sit under my CPU fan (there is physically not enough room). I knew getting that fan would make me regret it one day, never thought it would be for RAM though...

So, I'm now looking into options.. I don't want to get new RAM again (that just seems pointless) and there's no guarentee it would fit anyway. I would prefer not to get a new CPU fan as I love the one I've got and it is absolutely astoundingly good at keeping my PC cool (and it makes zero noise). So I guess the only option is to upgrade my motherboard and get one with RAM that sits at least half an inch further away from the CPU than my current board (also one with 4 slots rather than 2 would be nice).

But I'm not sure how easy it is to do this or if I'm just being plain stupid for even thinking it... Perhaps there's an easier way, or maybe you lot think getting a new CPU fan (again) would just be the easiest and I'll have to live with it..?

My current motherboard is a Gigabyte, GA-78LMT-S2P, with an AMD FX-6300 CPU. Any help / tips on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Vinny.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

FWIW:  I would just remove the heatspreaders that make the module too tall...rather than spend more money.  The value of heatspreaders is questionable in the minds of some.  There is abundant guidance on how to remove them.

Louis

#3 Vinny_Vally

Vinny_Vally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

There actually appears to be none on this, it's just too tall by default. If I had to take off the casing then it would be bare circuitry. If I remember correctly my first RAM was in fact bare back in '00, but not sure how recommended this is..

I already read a lot online that heatspreaders for RAM aren't exactly necessary, so I specifically went with some without them hoping it would be short enough (I knew previously of space constraints, but didn't realise the fan was quite so low sadly).

Cheers for the reply Louis.

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

What specific ram modules and heat sink model are these? Would you minfd taking a picture of this? Cell phone picture would suffice something like a macro shot.

#5 Vinny_Vally

Vinny_Vally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

CPU cooler is a Zalman CNPS12X - http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=348

It explains in that document how RAM ONLY just fits underneath, which is a shame. I also didn't realise that generally all RAM on motherboards is an almost standardised distance away from the CPU, so swapping motherboards probably won't help either way (answered my own initial question). If I knew all of this originally, I wouldn't now be eyeing up a second CPU cooler (anyone want a Zalman? haha).

Thinking of buying this to replace my Zalman (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5000-mugen-5-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html) and then my RAM will fit.. I guess I could always buy a second fan and attach it to the back of the heatsink (as is suggested on the site for the Scythe) should my PC suddenly get too warm (I doubt it though isn't overclocked or anything, though I'm thinking about it).

Kind'a gutted about this because I LOVE the Zalman in my rig. Looks like I've shoved a jet turbine in there to cool it down... I'm also horrendously gutted because it took me near 8 hours to fit the Zalman into my PC, not looking forward to getting it out!! Plus my ex-girlfriend threw out a few bits of "junk" when she was moving out and this included a particular Zalman box containing instructions... Yippeee :D haha.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

Sounds like you need to make the choice of either returning your new ram sticks and getting stadard low profile sticks with no spreader and low height, usually found in value type ram, or get a new heatsink. Your choice. You may really like the Zalman, but you also want to keep your new ram right?. So you have a choice to make. If it were me I would get the cheaper of the two and deccide on a prodict/s you like. I mean the Zalman may look nice but if it's going to hinder ram installation on the majjority of kits you probably should get a new heatsink.

Edited by Zone_86, 25 January 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#7 Vinny_Vally

Vinny_Vally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:05 AM

Decided on getting the Scythe heatsink. My RAM needs upgrading and even if I went for low profile sticks I'd still need to take the fan out regardless to get it replaced, so might as well just keep the sticks I've got and replace the fan.

I'll update this later with how long it took for me to take the damn Zalman out.. I reckon around 1-2 hours, going to be optimistic haha.

#8 Vinny_Vally

Vinny_Vally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Woo! Okay so I got a new CPU cooler (the Scythe SCMG-5000 as listed above), installed it along with my new RAM (took 3.5 hours - Most of this was getting the Zalman out though, the Scythe is EASY to install) and booted up my comp. successfully (which is highly reassuring...).

Ran SpeedFan to check new idle temps (as I thought the RAM would be cooler but my CPU might be hotter with the new fan). However idle it is down from 26 C to 7 C... 7 degrees at idle... What?! That's crazy.. To give an idea how odd that sounds to me, it's currently 8 C outside in Scotland in the winter.. haha. I didn't overclock my PC previously cause I was concerned about temperatures, but I can safely say that fear is no more!

Can't believe I was thinking about upgrading my motherboard 0.o

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

Outstanding glad to hear it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users