Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Tweaking and File Copying to Micro SD cards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 monkeylove

monkeylove

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

I've been trying to copy files from a regular HD to an external card reader using a Win 8.1 system which has a system that has been tweaked to optimize use of the SSD boot drive (e.g., page file in a regular HD, no superfetch, etc.). The file copying slows down to 0 after a minute, speeds up a minute after, and then slows down to 0 again.

I tried the same card and card reader in a laptop that runs on a regular HD for the boot drive, and the copying proceeded smoothly.

Is it possible that any SSD tweaks can cause file copying via external card readers to slow down?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

How is the SSD connected to the computer? SATA III = 6GB/s

How is the card reader connected to the computer? If through a USB 2.0 port, that's less than one-half of 1GB/s. A USB 3.0 port can do up to 5GB/s, but, not all USB 3.0 controllers are created equal.

#3 monkeylove

monkeylove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

The motherboard uses SATAIII and USB 3.0 and 2.0:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/H97M-E35.html#hero-specification

The card reader can use either USB port:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-331

The file copying speed goes down to 0 after a minute, causing several windows to freeze, then speed up again, then slow down to 0, etc. It happens in either USB port. I tried a cheap card reader and got the same problem. I don't recall experiencing this in the past.

Just to be sure, I tested the card and the reader in a laptop that uses a regular HD for the boot drive and thus no tweaking of the SSD. The copying ran smoothly. No problems as well for the laptop internal card reader.

I ended up having to copy the files to the laptop through the local network and then copy them from the laptop to the card.

FWIW, these are the SSD tweaks I did for the PC:

Enabled write-caching for the SSD.

Reset the page file from the SSD to an internal HD in the same PC.

Moved the temporary folder to the same HD.

Set caches (like those of the browser) to the HD and the session store interval for Cyberfox to 5 min.

Made sure that TRIM was enabled. (It shows that and identifies the boot drive as SSD in the Windows disk optimizer.)

Made sure AHCI was enabled in the BIOS.

Ran SSD tweaker but retained prefetching because the Intel SSD toolbox advised it.

Turned off hibernate.

Set the superfetch service to manual.

Set the Windows Search service to manual.

Edited by monkeylove, 24 January 2017 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users