Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing sent to non-default printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cherm

cherm

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

Hi,
I'm running a win10 Pro system. When I try to print a file, the default printer is shown. Though, the document isn't sent to my default print (Brother MFC-430W Printer). Instead it shows up as a piece waiting in the queue of Foxit Editor PDF Printer (which shows in my Device and Printers list, or in MS PDFCreator, which doesn't show on this list.
How do I bring my default printer back to the fore?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cherm

cherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:19 AM

Addendum: This problem shows while I try to print an Office document or when I print from my browser. Strangely, when I type to my Bullzip PDF printer, I manage to print the file from my Adobe Acrobat DC program.

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hello cherm

Windows 10 did change the way it handles printers. Now the last printer you used will be "default printer"
Perhaps you are affected by this?

You can turn off this behaviour by following the instructions by Paul Thurrott given here:
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/62508/windows-10-tip-disable-automatic-default-printer-management

Did this help you with your issue?

tfn

#4 cherm

cherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Strange. MFC-J430W is clearly set as my default printer.

See pic.

Attached Files

#5 cherm

cherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

Hi,

I checked your reference and got stuck in an endless discussion on the net on the new policy regarding default printer, a discussion without a clear solution.

One way or another, I've reinstalled the Brother drivers and the problem dusappeared.

Thanks for your efforts.

#6 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for reporting back with the solution! :)

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users