Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ririguy

ririguy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

My laptop makes a funky noise, I've managed to find a video online of a laptop making the same noise

I got a HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC with 3 months warranty left

I've done a wipe of the laptop etc and still doing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

It sounds like something spinning to me could be the hard drive you'd need to work out exactly where it's coming from and then see whats in that position ie what bit of internal hardware it is coming from. I'd take it back and show them the video before your warranty runs out and don't open or tamper with it in any way that may void the warranty. 

Edited by HolyCowz, 24 January 2017 - 04:53 AM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

The almost non-existent sound on the video seems like normal HDD head seeking to me - does the HDD indicator light show drive activity when the sound occurs? Anything that causes HDD activity whether normal (like search indexing, AV scanning, background downloading of updates) or abnormal (some type of malware?) could make the HDD sound like that.

Also Task Manager's Resource Monitor can show you whether drive I/O activity coincides with the sound.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 ririguy

ririguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

That isn't my video it's just a video showing the same noise mine makes. It hasn't always done it, I think I will take back and get them to have it looked at.

I don't understand what you mean about where it's coming from, it sounds like it come from above the fan.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

In order to identify the cause of a sound, you need to know what (and hence where) it is coming from. If the sound is coming from the Hard Drive you need to diagnose why it's making the sound. If the sound is coming from a fan, or from the speakers, that's what will need to be investigated.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:38 AM

You have 3 months warranty I'd take it back and show them the video if it doesn't make the sound on q and get them to make a note if they won't change it that you did take it back when you herd the noise. I'd even record the conversation on your phone secretly so if it does go after warranty and the sound gets worse I think you'd stand a better chance of getting it replaced as you would have proof the problem was there withing the warranty period and you did try.

Have you done a scan disk to check for bad sectors?

start / windows system / this pc now right click you hard drive may be C:/  choose properties click the tools tab click check and then scan disk 

After the scan has ran it should tell you if any problems where found and fixed.

#7 ririguy

ririguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. As I said it isn't my vid but makes same noise. I've just had ear to laptop it isn't the fan it seems to be coming from the middle top on the back of laptop? I'm just scanning disk now, My touchpad has become a little loose too so going to take it back before my warranty is up deffo. It's so bloonoisysey it's rediculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users