Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Age old question about Web browsers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taylor1277

taylor1277

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Well many years ago when Google Chrome came along I left IE and have been with GC ever since. But I have read where Google is moving in other directions like their search engine, and I am wondering sometimes if they aren't really interested in their browser either. GC crashes more and more. There is no IT or any changes to Chrome unless there is some sort of I guess you could say browser wars going on, which we seen when Microsoft came out with their new browser. My question what is Firefox like? I looked at things like Comodo Dragon but I don't know, it doesn't look that great. Does Firefox have a lot of issues too? Is there any other web browsers that someone would suggest. Please tell me what browser you use, and why you like it, also does it have a bookmarking tool and are there features to work within bookmarking. Chrome has bookmarks but doesn't have any features to work within it, if you have a folder with websites (bookmarks) the more the file contains, the more likely Chrome will crash because you have to painstakingly open each bookmark so that it doesn't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

I use Firefox. It is the most feature rich and customizable browser IMHO. There's loads of 3rd party add ons that can do all sorts of things you didn't imagine before.

It's not as fast as Chrome but it doesn't have the same system drain either. It also doesn't necessarily have the same compatibility with media playback. That could just be because of my security add ons and the fact I use Linux. Sometimes I find myself copying and pasting an address into Chrome just so I can fill out a form. That's only happens a few times a year though.

Sure there's other issues from time to time too. Occasionally I'll hit a bug and the window will disappear without warning, this is why it's important to leave error reporting on so Mozilla gets the info required to fix these issues. Fortunately because of my add ons I can just re-open the browser and pick up exactly where I was, nothing is lost and my work flow isn't effected that much.

I'd say try it. If other browsers are giving you problems it's a clear 1st choice.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

I use both Firefox and Google Chrome as my primary web browsers, and love both.

I actually find Firefox to be a bigger drain on memory in particular, but neither is "a problem" that would make me move away from it.

Chrome has generally been rock solid for me.  I would suggest that regardless of whether you go to Firefox or not that you completely uninstall Chrome (after exporting your bookmarks or having set up a Chrome Sync account that syncs all of the settings you want/need, including bookmarks) and then install it again.  I have done this once when I was getting some peculiar behavior that I just could not find the root cause for.  It worked to bring Chrome back to its normal good behavior.  I have a sync account, so all of my add-ons, bookmarks, etc., just get plopped right back in to the new Chrome installation once the sync has completed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

I use Firefox and IE.  I've also sampled Chrome and did not like it...I don't remember why but it probably had to do with the add-ons.

I don't give a lot of thought to browser features, as long as they easily allow me to access the Web and do what I do.

I find that the best way to find out about a given browser...is to install it and find out if there is something about it that commands uninstalling it.

I have no idea what you mean by "working within bookmarks" or "bookmarking tool" but there is adequate documentation about such at respective websites and a hands-on trial should answer any questions you might have.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users