Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates resource to avoid spying and major problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bond92

bond92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Hello all,

I am looking for a solid resource of which windows 8.1 updates I should install. I have been putting off updates for awhile because of the Windows 10 force install and the rumor that even if you don't install the Win 10 update Windows is sneaking in telemetry and their own variant of spy software into 8.1 like they are with 10.

TLDR? I need a resource of approved windows updates for win 8.1 to prevent spying and to prevent updates with known major issues.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bond92

bond92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

Seriously? There is no such resource of which Windows Updates are approved an accepted by the public or a community?

Do IT administrators just manually test each one then roll them out to the production environment?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

The Win 10 'force install' is a thing of the past, it now costs $US 100+ to install Win 10. And since MS has moved over to 'roll-up' updates you have very little say over what updates you install, or rather it is Hobson's Choice - take it or leave it. If you are using 8.1 or 7 you can choose not to install one of these mega-updates but that is your only choice. As far as I know  there is no way of breaking down one of these roll-ups or indeed of finding out what the contents are unless you are willing to spend a certain amount of time trawling the MS web-site.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users