Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pictures in File Explorer are blank until I click

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzo44

Rizzo44

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

This is weird. I had to use my external backup to save a bunch of things I lost in somewhat of a hard drive crash. My pictures and videos came back as blank until I double click on them. There they are. I can open all of the pictures with Windows Photo Viewer, Paint, XnView, Picasa, and PhotoScape. All are jps and almost all are downloads from Google Images. Everything was fine for years before this happened. I could see a small image of the picture.

I tried to use the bar at the top (I'm very computer savvy - I have no idea what the bar is called.) I kept trying things under the 'Home" and "View" choices. I have gotten what I wanted that way but when I close it and come back everything but the titles are invisible again.

I appreciate any suggestions or help that you could give me. Dawn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

There's a few things it could be... let's start with the simplest first.

Open up the folder with the pictures and click on the View tab
Next click on Options to the far right
Then Click on Change folder and search options
This opens up an options menu
Navigate to the view tab
uncheck the box that says Always show icons, never thumbnails
And Check the box that says Display file icon on thumbnails.

Does this resolve your problem?

#3 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

1st - Thanks for helping. In the past I had done everything that you suggested after I Googled the problem, but I did it again following your instructions. The photos are still blank.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

Try clearing your thumbnail cache

First go back and uncheck

• Open up the folder with the pictures and click on the View tab
  • Next click on Options to the far right
  • Then Click on Change folder and search options
  • This opens up an options menu
  • Navigate to the view tab
  • Then uncheck the box that says Display file icon on thumbnails.

Then

• Click Start, type “cleanmgr” (or typedisk cleanup) without quotes and press {ENTER}
  • Select the system drive letter from the drop-down.
  • Uncheck all the entries, except Thumbnails
  • Click OK, and click Delete Files to confirm.

Is the issue resolved?

Edited by TsVk!, 24 January 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#5 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem. It's just bizarre.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

There could be something else going on with the system itself, and this is just a symptom.

1zczgxj.jpg Please download and install Windows Repair AIO

• Run the program.

• Follow the steps through one by one, steps 1 through 5.

• Make sure you have re-booted to safe mode for the "Repair" tab section

• Click on "Open Repairs"

• Leave the default repairs checked and click "Start Repairs"

• When the repairs are completed please restart your machine into normal mode

How did you go?

Edited by TsVk!, 25 January 2017 - 12:48 AM.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

Try rebuilding your icon cache.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

#8 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

I have to be honest. I'm not going to do a system repair. I don't know enough about it and with working in safe mode, etc. If I have to mess with the entire system I think I'll just live with blank pictures. With my little understanding of computers there is a real chance I can do some big harm. You have given very complete instructions and I really appreciate it but for me having some blank pics and videos isn't worth that damage I could cause - even with following all of your instructions carefully.

I'm going to try rebuilding the cache. I'll come back and let you know if that is successful.

#9 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

OK I tried both of the options to rebuild the cache. No luck. Now my concern is that the last instruction is " If the icons are still not displaying properly, then download and merge the ICO option in this tutorial for Windows 7 or Windows 8 to restore the default associations of .ico (icon) files.

It looks to me like this is something that I need to do because I was unsuccessful. Could you please let me know what that means and what I need to do.

You folks are so nice to come on here to try to help. I hope you don't get as frustrated as I do.

Again, with the only problem being invisible photos and my having no other problems whatsoever with the computer I just can't go with doing something drastic to the whole system. Maybe I'm at the end of the line here. What a puzzle.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

I have to be honest. I'm not going to do a system repair. I don't know enough about it and with working in safe mode, etc. If I have to mess with the entire system I think I'll just live with blank pictures. With my little understanding of computers there is a real chance I can do some big harm. You have given very complete instructions and I really appreciate it but for me having some blank pics and videos isn't worth that damage I could cause - even with following all of your instructions carefully.

I'm going to try rebuilding the cache. I'll come back and let you know if that is successful.

The program creates a restore point to avoid doing damage you can't undo and also has a big "start in safe mode" button. It's a simple way of doing advanced repairs, not an advanced program.

Your choice though.

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:22 AM

Follow the steps here to restore file association for .ico files (scroll down a bit to find the file)

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8486-default-file-associations-restore-windows-8-a.html

It's worth a try.

#12 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Sigh. Restoring the file association for .ico files didn't work.

Since my brother was visiting we decided we would try the Windows Repair AIO program together. I guess I didn't expect a homemade type of thing. For some reason I thought it would be an official Windows repair program. We went through the whole thing and it didn't help. When I was all done AVG popped up and alerted me that I had some unwanted files left over from the program I had just run. I had AVG get rid of the files. I had never gotten an AVG pop-up like that before if I wasn't in the middle of downloading something. I then went to CCleaner and did my own disk clean and we felt comfortable enough to get rid of a registry error that had the name of the AIO program in it. I hope that doesn't come back to bite us. I uninstalled the program. So now I've tried everything that I know of to try.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

Yeah.. lol. The graphics on that application were a bit off putting the first time I saw it too. I guess the people who make it would rather focus on having code that works correctly than wasting time making the interface look shiny. Do not be deceived by it's appearance. AVG detected the application because it has the potential to make damaging system changes, not because it is dangerous. That is inherent in any application that fixes damaged systems. CCleaner does not detect errors either, it detects remnants and left over entries. In fact I would caution you against using ANY registry cleaner, including the CCleaners registry function. (as a "point and shoot-remove all" type application) You should carefully review all detections by these programs and not act on them unless you completely understand the implications. The purported "excess registry entries slow down your machine" is a fallacy. When removing applications if you want to completely remove them and all associated registry entries I recommend Revo-Uninstaller. It's pretty interface is will please also. :wink:

I assure you, I am a system administrator for a medium sized company and I WinAIO on my own machines to fix errors when either (1) I can't figure it out easily (2) I can't be stuffed running loads of commands. I have done for years without problems. So don't worry.

Let's keep trying to fix the issue at hand then...

Let's see if it's not beingcaused by a local policy

• Press Windows and R key together to open the run box.
  • Type “gpedit.msc” in the box and hit Enter.
  • Now, navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar in left pan of Group Policy Editor.
  • Locate “Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails” in right pane of Group policy editor and double click on it.
  • Select Disable and click on Apply and then on OK.
Is the problem resolved?

Edited by TsVk!, 25 January 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#14 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

You have hit upon another problem that I have. I've rarely needed to put "gpedit.msc" in my run box. When I do it the message always says that it can't find it. It tells me to make sure that I typed it in correctly. This always happens; just with this specific command.

When I've rarely done it someone has helped me find an alternate way to get where I need to be. Can we do that?

I didn't doubt that you know a lot about this stuff. That's why I ended up following your instructions. My problem was that I didn't trust myself to get it all right. I've been known to mess up easy instructions.

Also, AVG didn't just give me a detection. It listed three files that it told me were a problem. That was after I was totally finished with the AIO program and closed out of the Internet. I just deleted them right away.

I'll download Revo-Uninstaller.

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

Did you download Windows Repair from here? (I tend to use the direct download link)

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Did you boot into safe mode to run it as it suggests, or did you try to run it while you were on the webpage ?

As TsVk! says it is a great program and used on many forums as the go to program to fix things. I have it on all of mine... just in case.

Unless you are using the pro version of Windows 8/8.1 the group policy editor may not be available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users