Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

administration permission

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix1971

phoenix1971

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

i want to copy a large amount of data to another drive,but no matter what i do i keep getting "You'll need to provide administration permission to copy this file" i've checked permissions and everything looks fine,but still wont move, please help me

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Are you using Command Prompt or File Explorer for the copy?  In either case, are you running the program with administrator privileges?  Even if your Windows 10 User ID is an administrator, you sometimes have to use the "Run as Administrator" option.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 phoenix1971

phoenix1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

i'm using explorer and how do you copy using admin? ,if i can get it to work i am going to use something like goodsync,so i can leave and forget the backups cheers

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

You might want to open a Command Prompt using the "Run as Administrator" option and use the ROBOCOPY command.  See:  http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html 

Someone else just happened to ask about copying over a full folder structure from one folder to another, but selecting only files of a certain type.  In your case you want to do the same but for all files.

The syntax you would use is dirt simple:   ROBOCOPY Source_Folder Destination_Folder /S /E

This presumes you want to copy every blessed file and folder that resides under the Source_Folder to the Destination_Folder including empty folders, too.

For Example:  ROBOCOPY C:\Users\User1  D:\User1Bkup /S /E

But, after all that, is there some reason you're not using the absolutely marvelous File History feature that's built in to Win10?  It makes life much easier in this regard and you can add folders that aren't included by default or exclude folders you don't want that are included by default.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 phoenix1971

phoenix1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

ok thanks for advise, i shall give it a go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users