Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installed Updates I Didnít Select

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 book.weaver

book.weaver

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and received instructions regarding how to deal with the “Windows Update problem” that so many people are having.  I keep my WU set to manual and stopped at all times, unless I am installing small batches of Security updates.

There are a couple programs that start WU that I have to keep an eye on, but today when WU started, I decided to go ahead and install some Security updates.  Naturally, it automatically selects all important updates, but I selected the Security updates only.  There were 12.  I downloaded and installed them, but when I shut down my laptop it installed all 81 (for crying out loud) important updates.  I am sooo annoyed with Windows right now. ..

Anyhow, I’m posting because I also had instructions to never install KB971033 -and that’s fine, I hid it –and also not to install Service Pack 1, at least not until I can burn a disk image to an external hard drive.  We were puzzled as to why it was listed, seeing as I have SP1.  I only just hid SP1 in the list of updates today when I selected and installed those 12 Security Updates.  However, as I stated previously, upon shutdown my computer installed all 81 important updates.  I checked my update history and it included the Service Pack 1 update that I had hidden!  Is it alright?  Also, I have the list of installed updates pulled up and was wondering if there were any other ones that should not be installed (such as my being advised to avoid KB971033) that I should attempt to remove?  I simply want to ensure all those updates were well and good, if anyone has the time.

Thank you for taking a look!  =)  I would have posted in my original topic but fixing my corrupted system took quite some time and I don’t wish to be a plague upon those who were so kind as to help me through it all.

Edited by book.weaver, 23 January 2017 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

If the computer is running okay then I would not worry about it. Microsoft is changing their update system from singular to cumulative rollups and eventually the rollups will include all important updates since SP1. Possibly the SP1 update was to prepare for these rollups but I can't say for certain. 

#3 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Alright.  Thank you so much yet again, JohnC_21!  Just wanted to be sure everything was okay.  (I still can't believe it did that to me, though -unruly updates!)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, Microsoft Updates truly suck on clean installs of Vista and Windows 7. With the new Security Rollups multiple patches are included and it's one or none. If one of the patches in that rollup causes issues there is no way to remove the single patch except to uninstall the rollup.

#5 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

What?!  Oh my gosh, that's horrible.  Now that I know that, I'll update more frequently so I don't get bogged down with a truckload of updates at a time.  That's very useful info; thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

It will not be a boatload of updates. Every month you will see something like (month) Security Quality Rollup.

#7 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Oh, I see.  That's a relief.  ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users