Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating Outlook from Office 365 account to a new hosting provider.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

Currently have 2 email addresses hosted by Go Daddy using Office 365.  Finally launching a new site with a new host and need to change MX records and switch the emails over as well.  The email addresses are currently in Outlook and I would like to make the switch without losing all the previous emails. 

What is the best practice or steps do this with Outlook? Is it as easy as editing the account with the new settings, or is there a better way of ensuring the transition?

Will be using IMAP for the new host.  Thanks a ton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Setup Outlook or some other client to download the email for the two old email address using POP3. If the new email account is IMAP, I don't think there is any way of turning the Outlook POP3 into a IMAP account, so you will have to create a new profile/account inside Outlook for the new email server. So you will have access to the old email once you download it, it just won't be in the same inbox as the new email.

Also, who will you be using for outbound email? Does your new email provider have SMTP servers?

#3 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Setup Outlook or some other client to download the email for the two old email address using POP3. If the new email account is IMAP, I don't think there is any way of turning the Outlook POP3 into a IMAP account, so you will have to create a new profile/account inside Outlook for the new email server. So you will have access to the old email once you download it, it just won't be in the same inbox as the new email.

Also, who will you be using for outbound email? Does your new email provider have SMTP servers?

New provider does have SMTP server.   So I would be better off exporting my emails and contacts into a .pst file, creating the new email account with the new settings and importing the .pst?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

You can if both accounts were IMAP. However if the old account was POP3 and the new account in IMAP, it can cause some problems. I didn't know if you were using Outlook with Outlook 365 either. A lot of people who transferred from Hotmail only use the website.

Also, to be honest, based on your question, I didn't think you knew about .pst files. I thought you were asking for a simpler way. Do you need instructions on transferring the .pst? If so, what client?

#5 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Currently the Office 365 email through Go Daddy is setup in Outlook.  I am just kicking Go Daddy to the curb for emails and hosting ( moved to a new platform ).  So I will be changing the MX records over for the new platform offering my emails. However I have never had to switch from Office 365 over and worrying about losing emails.   I figured I would ask before jumping the gun.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

But how is the old account set up in Outlook? POP3 or IMAP? Something else?

As long as your have the .pst file you will have a backup of your emails. The problem is viewing them. The reason the .pst file is different for IMAP is because of the way IMAP uses email headers to track your emails and folders. This sets the .pst file up in a certain way. If you try to load .pst file from a POP3 account into Outlook for a IMAP account, there are no headers so Outlook doesn't know where to put the email and how to organize it. If your old account is set up with IMAP, you should be fine transferring the .pst file over.

Here are some instructions that give specifics on how to move the .pst from POP3 to IMAP, with account deletion, if not. 

Edited by Trikein, 23 January 2017 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users