Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access Admin Account (Error 5)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Hi all

I have a Windows 7 Pro PC and can not access the admin account. 

(Note: I am admin)

Its a strange one the PC has got UAC enabled. When I open the CMD under Administrator

and use the "net user command" to open the admin account I get the message "System error 5 has occurred.) Access is denied.

I have tried pogostick with no joy......

Even secpol.msc Access is denied.

Just to be clear I still get the error under cmd admin "C:\Windows\system32>"

Any ideas?

xt

Attached Files

Edited by xtype, 23 January 2017 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

The command failed because you need to open the Command Prompt as Administrator

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 xtype

xtype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

Yes SD that's my problem I simply can not open as admin I think the UAC is blocking. I can only change the UAC settings in admin account. So i'm in a catch 22 position here.

Edited by xtype, 23 January 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

I would create a new admin account then try to enable the administrator account.

If that does not work then see if enabling the account using Safe Mode with command prompt works

Last option is to enable the account using a Windows 7 System Repair Disk or install disk by editing the registry offline.

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#5 xtype

xtype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Thanks John got it sorted.

As I explained it was a strange problem.

I loaded "chntpw" and it listed the "Administrator account" under profiles even though the admin 

account did not show up in windows. 

I proceeded to clear the admin password and reinstate the admin account with chntpw and after a re-boot the admin account appeared so all is well.

Thanks all.......

xt

Edited by xtype, 23 January 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted. chntpw is an excellent tool. I have used it before and understand clearing the password with chntpw but when you said you reinstated the admin account can you explain further?

#7 xtype

xtype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted. chntpw is an excellent tool. I have used it before and understand clearing the password with chntpw but when you said you reinstated the admin account can you explain further?

Sure John

In my windows 7 the admin account did not show up on my windows startup screen but when I loaded chntpw it could see an admin account. 

I then proceeded to clear the admin password and change the admin to a standard user account and rebooted into windows. The admin account "NOW" showed up on my windows startup screen as Administrator Standard User".

Then booted back into chntpw and selected the "password reset (SAM) option.

Selected the "Edit user data and passwords" option.

I then selected the "Administrator Standard Account" entering 01f4

Then selected option "3" -> "Promote user (make user an administrator)

and all was well again.

There may be an easier way of doing it but it still worked a treat ...................

Note: Just to add even though the admin account was not showing up on my startup screen it seems clear that the admin account was always there but hidden and as I could see it in chntpw when first loaded. Their seemed to have been a corruption some where maybe someone else will have theory as to why.

xT 

Edited by xtype, 23 January 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Great. Thanks much for the detailed response. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users