Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Alpha 4 Into Access Database

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sannunziata

Sannunziata

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

I belong to a religious volunteer group and we have a database of about 10,000 names in Alpha 4 database. I want to convert it to Access and I was thinking of buying a program

http://www.simx.com/simx/simx.stt/comp=cgs...ctr=H12_c5j885n

It's called Text Converter and it costs $300. Does anyone know anything about this company? Are there any other programs out there that may be better? Thanks for your help. Sannunziata

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

I know nothing about the Alpha4 Db, but it does seem that you can export data to Excel files at least. Have you posted about your problem to the Alpha Forums? One would think there would be a less expensive way to convert records to Access format.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphafor...&order=desc

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 dbtweaker

dbtweaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hello, from new member, dbtweaker.  I faced exactly this problem when obtaining a new computer with Windows8.  I found I could import all the *.dbf files, the actual databases, into Excel, not directly into Access.  Then, I could import those from Excel into Access.  After that, it is a major effort to try to re-create some of the database relationships, and to learn enough about how Access functions to make it resemble the original.  I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but since the site appears to be free, I found an excellent Access tutorial of 7 lessons @ baycongroup.com: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users