Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Vs Pata

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

I was browsing around on Newegg today and looking at Dvd drives and whatnot but i noticed that it seems as though there are very few drives wich use Sata. It seems Sata has become prefered for Hard drives but not disk drives. Is there any reason for this? Should i avoid Sata when selecting a Dvd drive?

Thanks for all help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

What is a SATA dvd drive? Can you provide a link?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

These

They are just DVD drives, but they connect to the motherboard via Serial ATA cables instead of the typical Parallel(spelling?) ATA ribbons.

sry if i worded my other post wrong. Im not good at explaining things.

Alot of newer hard drives use SATA to connect to the mother board. Like these

Its supposed to offer faster data transfer speeds than PATA (IDE) cables.

I was asking why these arent commonly used in DVD/CD drives.
I found a couple (The ones in the first link), but i thought maybe there was a reason they havent been widely accepted.

Basicaly i wanted to know if i should stick with a PATA (IDE) interface or look for a drive that utilizes SATA.

Hope that helped.
Sorry if i didnt explain it well enough.

Thanks for any and all help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:19 AM

No, there is nothing wrong with SATA optical drives. They just haven't caught on yet, because SATA offers no advantages over PATA for optical drives. But they will start showing up more because the PATA connectors are disappearing from motherboards. Intel are pushing hard för everyone to adopt STAT. Their latest chipset doesn't even have any PATA ports.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users