Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't shut down, sleep, or hibernate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StarStrider111

StarStrider111

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've a Gateway FX6840-15e 64-bit Desktop running dualboot with Ubuntu.

A few days ago I had a BSOD Bad Pool Header error, which I believe I resolved by resetting my video driver (have had ongoing issues with it, as it is an ATI Radeon no longer supported, but have always had luck with one particular driver version). I mention this in case it is related, but am not posting this in the BSOD section because it should be a resolved error, and thus this a separate but ill-timed issue.

Not long after (Saturday) I cannot get it to shutdown or go into hibernate. I *can* get it to restart. I can also shut down with the cmd shutdown -s command. Otherwise trying to put it into sleep, hibernate, or shut down merely produces a black screen with the drive running, and any disturbance brings me to the log in screen immediately. I have to hold in the button and force shut down. (Usually I just put the computer to sleep when inactive.) The machine runs just fine when active.

What I've tried so far:

-Switching power settings back to default, changing them around

-Turned off fast boot

-chkdsk /r

-powercfg -requests

-Win 10 is updated

-Memtest 86+

-Changed user password (there were reports that this worked for some weird reason)

-No drivers were recently updated, other than that rollback for video

I'm really hoping I don't have to do a clean install, but if that's my last option obviously I'll do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

That's an odd one, you've tried everything I would do.

You could look at resetting your PC and keeping your files before doing a clean install.

Also, how long have you left it to "shutdown"?

Edited by Steven_M, 23 January 2017 - 05:19 AM.

#3 StarStrider111

StarStrider111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:49 AM

That's true, I could try that.

I've left it for 5-10 for both sleep and shut down and it just runs as though it's active and logged out. I also let it run 4 hours without first promoting sleep to see if it would sleep on its own (set for 30 min of inactivity).

#4 StarStrider111

StarStrider111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

All right, after an hour of threatening to take this thing into work and fill its tower casing full of steel dust, I still cannot get it to boot into the menu option for safe mode and troubleshoot in order to activate the refresh install.

I cannot activate resetting it from Recovery options in Control Panel because it states that there is no Windows Recovery Environment.

I created a bootable USB stick, which works, but does not offer Reset/Refresh option.

I remember seeing Reset as an option from when it was struggling to boot after the Bad Pool Header BSOD, so I'm now trying to trigger that Troubleshoot or Advanced Options menu before Windows boots. Obviously F8/Shift-F8 no longer works for Win10 (even with fast boot turned off). I have tried Shift-Restart from both Power menu logged in and on lockscreen (both take me to a blue screen that is *supposed* to offer 1) Continue 2) Troubleshoot 3) Turn off, but it only offers 3) Turn off. I have then tried to reboot to safe mode from msconfig, but under the "boot" tab of System Configuration, it will not let me click on anything.

So...WTH? How can I trigger that Troubleshoot/Safe Mode boot menu?

#5 StarStrider111

StarStrider111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Solved!

Update:

Since I could not initiate reset/refresh install, I pursued some other things like  sfc /scannow, clean boot, and some windows troubleshooting. In the end I booted to CMD and ran bootrec /fix mbr and bootrec /fixboot and that has solved my problem. Apparently. (It also knocked out my Ubuntu GRUB menu and used Ubuntu's paritioned drive to place its MBR backup, though I'm pretty sure it didn't overwrite Ubuntu files judging by file space used in the "new" system reserved partition. Anyway, I think I'll be okay fixing up Ubuntu. I need to upgrade it anyway.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users