Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Startup tries to repair, can't reset, etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mistermike23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Hoping someone can help. I have a dell laptop, and the other day it was acting funny so I shut it down. It wouldn't start up normally and tried all the basic stuff like chkdsk etc.

It does not repair itself (I guess this a thing in Windows 10). When I tried to reset the computer (factory settings), it fails and says it can't.

Really not sure what to do, not sure if it is a virus, could be...who knows...normally in desperate cases like this I can at least restore to factory settings and I can't even do that.

I did download frst64.exe but no idea how to create a fix log.

Any help would save my day...as its my wifes laptop and she uses it for work stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Can you run the Dell Diagnostics?  Try tapping F12 at boot and you should get a menu that lists (among other things) the diagnostics.

You may also want to backup your stuff - more advice on that here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

In short, if the hard drive isn't damaged, or isn't damaged badly, you may be able to boot to a portable OS and copy your data off the hard drive before doing anything else.

After that, we'll suggest different repairs/different ways to reset the OS.

You can make a free, bootable W10 flash drive here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Follow the instructions in the area that says "Download tool now"

Edited by usasma, 24 January 2017 - 06:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users