Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! No Source Signal Demon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenComputerTears

BrokenComputerTears

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

My Specs are listed Below.

I was playing Fallout 4 one day on my gaming pc, paused game...went to bathroom..and wham...no source signal since then no matter what i've tried.  I've been playing FO4 for months without any heating issues or crashes but im not ruling out that somehow i burned up my pc somehow. Upon pushing the power button everything looks ok other than no source signal.  At first i thought it was the graphics card because..well it's usually the first thing to check out and upon inspection i saw the fans would start for 1.5 seconds and stop for 1.5 seconds repeatedly but am not sure if that's normal so i had it replaced and still no fix and new graphics card does the same so... All the pc fans work aswell the cpu cooler fan, i hear no beeps and no warning lights are activated upon pusing the power button. I hear no start up sounds but it's been months so i dont remember if it gets stuck at the log in screen before making sound ect.

I wonder if my gpu, cpu, or motherboard burned up.  I did get two notices over the span of 8 months that fallout 4 was using alot of memory or something but never received a crash or a heating notice or a "random shutdown" to preserve the computer from overheating.  im not a technician by any means other than i know how to put a computer together. 

I've plugged my other very low end pc up to the monitor with the same cords and it worked so i doubt it's the monitor or any of the cords. fun fact my keybord NumLock CapsLock and ScrollLock lights do not operate on my gaming pc but will on the low end pc.  My wireless mouse lights up on both pc's.

I've tried:

moving the ram around
unplugging pc and holding power button for X seconds
Replacing DVI cord
switching Dvi cable between graphics cards dvi ports and mobo dvi port
completely disasembling, cleaning, reassembling
checking pin things on back of cpu
resetting graphics card in other ports
Replacing graphics card
reapplying thermal paste
loosening/tightening screws
Taking out the battery, rubbing it, reinserting

I've heard about taking out some sort of "bios" object out of my mobo and moving it around but could never find it or find my mobo handbook.

It's been like 3 months....i've searched for everything and tried what i've found.  I've reached my limit.  Please help.

Specs-

Phanteks Eclipse Series P400 PH-EC416P_AG Anthracite Grey Steel Side Window ATX Mid Tower Case

ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 DirectX 12 04G-P4-2977-RX 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card

Rosewill Capstone-G650, Capstone G Series 650W Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, Single +12V Rail, SLI & Crossfire Ready

Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

Toshiba OCZ TRION 150 2.5" 480GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) TRN150-25SAT3-480G

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR

CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler For AMD/Intel CPU

Edited by BrokenComputerTears, 22 January 2017 - 06:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

According to specs, that mainboard has integrated video on it; pull out your video card and try to boot with the onboard video; if no joy, try to boot into safe mode using the integrated video. If still no joy, try to boot into safe mode using the video card installed.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 BrokenComputerTears

BrokenComputerTears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Thank you but in my pot of "what i've tried" those are listed.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

I've heard about taking out some sort of "bios" object out of my mobo

I just noticed this......I think what was referred to is removing the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS back to factory default, but you have evidently done that already. If you haven't, please follow these directions:

> Power down and unplug the power cable from the wall socket.

> Press the power switch for 5 seconds (clears the capacitors).
>Open the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes. It looks like a small, silver coin about the size of a nickel.
>Many computers also have a small "Clear CMOS" jumper switch usually located close to the battery. Move the jumper to the side, wait about 10 seconds, then move it back to original position again. You can check your computer manual to find where this jumper is located. Then reinstall the CMOS battery again; make sure you get the polarity correct, if you put it in backwards the computer will do some really strange things, and possibly not boot. Try to boot the computer.

Please download and install Memtest 86+ and run it on your memory. Remove your 2nd stick of RAM from the #2 slot, leaving only 1 stick in the #1 slot. I know that you have already messed with the DIMMs, but you haven't run a test on them.  If Memtest 86+ runs and verifies the stick as good, then run it on the 2nd stick in the #1 slot. Do not run it with both sticks mounted at the same time. Another thing this test will tell us: if memtest 86+ errors you and says it cannot run the test or otherwise fails, that tells us that the problem is most likely with the mainboard or the CPU.

Here are my canned instructions:

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD or DVD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.
>
  If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad. It is not necessary to run it multiple times (unless you want to), one complete pass will suffice.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users