Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Western Digital Elements drive not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Campo1988

Campo1988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hi.

My drive decided to stop working properly so I thought it best to buy another one and copy everything from it. I have a laptop which I needed to move so I thought the best thing to do would be to be safe by shutting down and moving the laptop and drive carefully; however, upon rebooting with the drive plugged in, it decided to stop working.

I ran CHKDSK /F /X on it and it didn't complete, so I ran /R on it, and it looked as if it was working. It then decided to tell me, "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file 86546 of name . An unspecified error occurred." so I downloaded and ran the WDE diagnostic tool Data Lifeguard. On the site it said "WesternDigital Elements Desktop", rather than "Western Digital Elements", so that looked as if it was the closest. Both the quick scan and extended scan failed. Checking the SMART option in the diagnostic tool tells me there are 134 in 'reallocated secor count' with the threshold being 140. Everything else in the SMART option has a tick next to it.

If I hadn't have shutdown and rebooted, but just moved the laptop and drive anyway, this wouldn't have happened, because I was using the drive to copy things already.

Is there any way I can recover files from it, or at least delete some so it can have enough room to replace bad clusters, etc.?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

If you have access to another computer you will be able to connect this drive as an external drive - you may need to use  a USB 'caddy' to do this - and then copy off any data you can.

Since it appears the drive has 'bad sectors' rather than being completely dead you should be able to get nearly all your data off it this way. If any of your data is in the bad sectors that data may not recover. Once you have recovered what data you can I think it is definitely time for a new hard drive and all the pain that involves in re-installing everything.

For the future - remember 'Data backups' !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Some of the WD drives cannot be removed and put into an enclosure because they use a proprietary USB bridge card and if it's the portable version chances are it cannot be done because the USB port could be soldered to the drive's PCB. 

There may be a chance to pull the data by scanning the disk with a program like Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery

Doing a chkdsk on a failing drive can actually make recovery harder. 

There may be a chance a live linux disk would be able to mount the drive but I doubt it at this point. You can download fatdog64 and burn the iso file to a CD. Boot the disk. At the fatdog desktop attach your WD drive. A USB icon will appear next to your HDD partitions labeled sdax. Click once on it and if the drive can mount a File Manager Window will open showing your files.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/Fatdog64-710.iso

If fatdog cannot mount the drive then you will need to scan the drive with any of the two programs I mentioned. They allow a certain amount to be recovered for free, about 1 or 2 GB depending on the program. 

Edit: If fatdog can mount the drive then you can copy files over to your internal HDD. The process is a little different using fatdog. Post back if the drive mounts and I will provide further instructions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#4 Campo1988

Campo1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Sorry. I forgot to mention in my haste that the WDE drive is an external drive. It connects via USB. When I said I moved the laptop an drive carefully, I meant the external drive which connects via USB, as well, but I didn't mak that clear. Sorry about that.

I'd might as well also mention that when trying to access the drive on Windows it takes a minute or so and then says it is not formated and asks me if I want to format it. Using CMD to go to the drive, it tells me "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

I'll wait for any replies before attempting the advice given already.

Thanks.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

Ignore my #2 - I interpteted your first post to refer to the laptop's internal drive.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users