Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Dates Backwards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

I just noticed that Windows has the file dates backwards. I have Explorer set to show the Date Modified. Yesterday, I noticed that the dates weren't changing on files that I had just edited. Checking the Properties dialog, I discovered that the Created: field appears to contain the Modified date and the Modified field appears to contain the Created date. Here's a screen shot:

Attached File  Explorer 20170122 1305 Files dates backwards.jpg   82.31KB   1 downloads

The Accessed field appears to be correct.

Can anyone suggest what might be happening and, what, if anything, I can do about it other than upgrade Windows?

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

What makes you think that upgrading Windows will resolve whatever might be wrong?

In any case, I suggest running the chkdsk /r command, since it appears to be a file screwup.

Louis

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:48 AM

In Control Panel..Region and Language is everything set up correctly regarding your location and preferred time format?

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

What makes you think that upgrading Windows will resolve whatever might be wrong?

In any case, I suggest running the chkdsk /r command, since it appears to be a file screwup.

Louis

I don't know if upgrading will solve this problem, but every time I ask for help and people find out that I am still on XP, their first, and sometimes only, recommendation is to upgrade. ;-)

I think I have found the problem. It is not that the date are backwards. I had the columns backwards (sigh).

The problem appears to be with IrfanView.  When I save a graphics file after editing with IrfanView, it appears that it is not updating the Modified Date or it isn't calling the right Windows API to update that date.

The attached graphic contains two Properties dialogs for a JPG. The one on the left is before editing with IrfanView. In that one, the Modified Date is older than the Created Date. I think that is also an IrfanView anomaly, but I haven't isolated that one yet. The one on the left is after editing with IrfanView and saving. The Accessed Date is updated, but the Modified Date is not.

Attached File  Explorer 20170123 0143 IrfanView does not update modified date.jpg   108.12KB   1 downloads

I'm not sure what to do about this.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

I never look at the data for Properties per file...I look at the data displayed by Explorer when I put it in Details View.

I would take a look at the data displayed from Explorer View, using Details View after invoking the options desired.

Did you run the chkdsk /r?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users