Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are mice dangerous to the eyes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Hi, PC dummy here. There are two types of mouse aren't there, ones that use an optical light, and ones that use a laser light?

When my niece visits me I'm worried that her toddlers might look at the pretty light underneath the mouse when they're having a go on my computer. It's probably a stupid question but is there any risk to their eyes? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Absolutely could be dangerous... close enough, eh? 'Specially round the young-ens.

Edit: Not sure which mice do not have the pretty lights but maybe a track-pad (USB) would help... which may help with motor-skills as well? IDK... just making observations.

Edited by bludgard, 22 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

Absolutely could be dangerous... close enough, eh? 'Specially round the young-ens.

Edit: Not sure which mice do not have the pretty lights but maybe a track-pad (USB) would help... which may help with motor-skills as well? IDK... just making observations.

Thanks, and incidentally how do we know if a light under a mouse is just an ordinary light or a laser light?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Is this computer a desktop or a laptop?  If desktop, you can plug into the PS/2 ports a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse.  I think a laser light often shines out as a tiny slim beam - somebody correct me if I'm in error.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Is this computer a desktop or a laptop?  If desktop, you can plug into the PS/2 ports a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse.  I think a laser light often shines out as a tiny slim beam - somebody correct me if I'm in error.

I've got a laptop and a desktop PC, the laptop uses a wireless mouse which has got a light under it but the light is completely invisible to the eye, how weird is that?

The desktop mouse has got a bright blue light under it, dunno if its a laser but I avoid looking at it anyway.

Incidentally during an eye test last year, my optician said he noticed small spots on the lens of my eye but they're apparently not serious and I hardly notice them during everyday activities. It's probably just a natural aging thing (I'm in my 60's) but I can't help wondering if the assorted lights and lasers in the computer world might have something to do with it.

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 31 January 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Some additional info on safety

http://superuser.com/questions/222235/can-the-light-at-the-bottom-of-an-optical-mouse-damage-your-eyes

https://www.lia.org/subscriptions/safety_bulletin/laser_safety_info

Any mouse laser is probably class 1.

Class 1
A Class 1 laser is considered safe based upon current medical knowledge. This class includes all lasers or laser systems which cannot emit levels of optical radiation above the exposure limits for the eye under any exposure conditions inherent in the design of the laser product. There may be a more hazardous laser embedded in the enclosure of a Class 1 product, but no harmful radiation can escape the enclosure.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 January 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Not really, I mean if its standard mouse with a light say a bluetrack mouse or gaming muose the light is provided by a LED rather than a laser beam

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Thanks guys it seems mouse lasers are Class 1 and not dangerous, but I'll avoid looking at them anyway..:)

PS- I read an article some years ago in Reader's Digest (I think it was), in which the crew of a US Coastguard helicopter were watching a Russian trawler some distance off when they were briefly hit by a flash of light from it. "I think we just got lased" said one of them, and although there were no immediate effects, their eyes felt sore when they got back to base, and recovered with no apparent ill effects.

PPS- In the Falklands War of 1982 the Brit Navy were using lasers to dazzle incoming enemy pilots, at least one warship was fitted with one and it was known as a "flasher" but I don't know if it was ever used in action. I later read up on the subject and I gather lasers have generally been dropped by the world's armed forces because "they can easily be countered".

The subject is still a bit hush-hush but perhaps a special coating on the perspex cockpit canopy or on the pilots goggles can deflect lasers.

Also, I suppose the military thought "Why hit a plane with a laser when you might just as well hit it with a missile or gunfire?"..;) 

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

The newer mice now have a infrared beam. You must have a older red LED one. Yes, they are dangerously bright and will damage the retina in the eye. Not to mention wireless red LED ones drain batteries like 3 times as fast.

Edited by technonymous, 03 February 2017 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users