Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can laptops handle high-end games/sims?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hi, PC dummy here, are laptops powerful enough for high-end gaming and flight simming (eg Arma 3 and FSX) or would they blow a gasket and/or burst into flames?

If I plugged one into an external monitor would that ease its workload?

If you can list the laptop specs I'd need, that'd help me shop around for one, thanks..:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

You gonna need external GPU, without that "high end gaming laptop" would run very hot.

So basically for high end gaming, desktop is much better choice. And if you don't need to carry computer from one place to another, desktop is only wise choice.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

There are gaming laptops for sale, but you're going to pay a premium price for them, $1,000 on up.  You can check out the Dell Alienware line

As Drillingmachine said a desktop is a much better option for high end gaming.  Especially is you want to upgrade in the future, i.e. more RAM or a better video card.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Some people will say that Gaming Laptops are "Overpriced". In real terms, you are actually paying for the portability of a gaming laptop so you aren't confined to a desk. Plugging it into an external monitor will probably not reduce the load on it as the monitor is likely to be 1080p whilst the built in screen is 720p, this would actually make it run worse due to a higher resolution.

If you do need a gaming laptop as you can't be at your desk (e.g. You travel around a lot), I'd reccomend something along the lines of 8GB of RAM, an i5 that has a relatively recent architecture and something along the lines of a 970M. Should be enough for pretty much all games and most flight simulators at 1080p. To keep it cool, search around for a USB Fan case which is basically just extra cooling. 

If portability is not really a concern for a gaming laptop then you could probably buy (or even build if you want to be sure of the quality and cut back on the cost even further) as it would be much cheaper to do this.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Thanks guys, and can i just ask a stupid question?-

These are my current laptop specs (accessed via 'PC Info')-
Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB
System type: 64 bit OS, x64-based processor

But as you see there's no mention of the graphics! How can I find out what they are?

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

Windows 8.1

But as you see there's no mention of the graphics! How can I find out what they are?

Your graphics are integrated into your CPU which is an intel HD 4400. It's not a gaming GPU but it allows you to use basic 3D applications and such.

So are you still looking for a Gaming Laptop?

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Windows 8.1

Your graphics are integrated into your CPU which is an intel HD 4400. It's not a gaming GPU but it allows you to use basic 3D applications and such.

So are you still looking for a Gaming Laptop?

I might be, but I'm still digesting the replies in this thread..:)

PS I forgot to mention this is the name of my current laptop-

Hewlett-Packard HP 250 G3 Notebook PC

So considering its specs in the above posts, how would you rate it in the horsepower department compared to most other laptops on a scale from 1 (weak) through 3 (average) to 5 (sh*t-hot)   

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

This would be a 1 (weak) laptop.  Normally laptop cost will give you an indication of power <$250 1 (weak), $250 - $500 2 (decent), $500 - $750 3 (average), $750 - 1,000 4 (above average), $1,250+ 5 (Powerful)

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'd say between a 1 and 2. In terms of Laptops vs PC's, is there any reason why you want a laptop (e.g. you travel a lot)

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thanks guys I'll digest what you said. :)

The main reason I'd like a gaming laptop is so that I can easily transport it around on the coach or train and play on holiday or wherever, which I couldn't easily do with my big heavy desktop PC which weighs a ton.

However even if a laptop could handle high-end games, the screen would still be a bit on the small side, so I've basically cooled off on the idea and will have to stick with my desktop PC. 

PS- just remembered another thing i don't like about desktops- they're noisy with their whirring fans, but laptops are as quiet as a mouse..:)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 31 January 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:48 AM

PS- just remembered another thing i don't like about desktops- they're noisy with their whirring fans, but laptops are as quiet as a mouse.. :)

Exactly other way around. Desktops are silent while laptops whine on heavy load.

In case you have desktop with noisy parts, then perhaps. But it's much easier to cool desktop than laptop so desktop is more quiet if it's built for quiet.

#12 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

Just to expand on what Drilling said, a Desktop has a lot more airflow which means it has better cooling. A Laptop has less airflow which results in worse cooling AND more dust accumulates which only heightens this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users