Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 dean66

dean66

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie and am using my own computer since my husband's computer is the problem. 

He has an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop runniing Windows 7, Home Premium.  It was purchased in August, 2012.  Yesterday but would not open Windows.  I tried turning it off then on and pressing F2 repeatedly and ran Smart Check which it failed.  It gave a failure ID but it was long and I didn't write it down.  I donn't think it matters anyway due to later developments.  The memory test was ok, it passed. 

I restarted and pressed F8, launched startup repair and got the message, "A hard disk problem is preventing windows from starting."   At one point I saw:  1720 Smart Hard Drive detects imminent failure.  Failing drive: SATAO, failing attribute:  #B8

Today, turned it on and pressed F8 repeatedly and the only response was a black screen and a loud noise, like winding up, running briefly and running down.  Then silence, same black screen, but power button shows that it's on.   

This has got to be a hard drive failure or crash, something major, right?  Duh?  If there's nothing else I can try, it's headed for the trash heap.  Any thoughts? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

The hard drive has probably failed. If you have a COA sticker on the side of the computer with a legible key you can install a new drive and reinstall Windows 7.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#3 dean66

dean66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thank you JohnC!  I really appreciate the response. Sorry to say though that finding, removing and Installing a hard drive would be way beyond me.  I was hoping there was some magic button I could push and it would fix itself.  Of course there's no such animal.  My husband says there's nothing on that computer he minds losing and he spends most time now using his IPad.  I think I'll take him at his word.  This website looks like a goldmine of information after checking out the tutorials.  Wish I had found you sooner.  Thanks again.  Shirley 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

Do you have a model number of the HP Pavilion slim? Using that I can link to a service manual if available. HP has pretty good service manuals with step by step instructions on replacing hardware.

#5 dean66

dean66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

My notes from when it was purchased show:  s5-1224

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Here is your support page

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Slimline-s5-Desktop-PC-series/5187025/model/5231676

Here is your service manual showing how to replace a hard drive.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317456

If the key on the COA is legible you can download your version of Windows 7 using this tool. Then use phone activation after install.

#7 dean66

dean66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Thank you so much.  I'll follow the instructions and see what happens. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Your Welcome, if you have the time please post an update.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Yeah sounds much like a hard drive failure.

Do you have recovery media?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 dean66

dean66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

There's no recovery disc unfortunately.  There has been a new development however and I wonder if it changes anything:  when turned on today there is still the noise that winds down but there's also a screen, black with white lettering, with command prompt blinking.  The last line of the message that appears says ERROR:  No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.  Is there anything useful or informative that I could type after the prompt?

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

No if its dead its dead.

Anyhow without recovery media you will need to make one, got any thumb drives or external HDD"s?

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 January 2017 - 05:22 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 dean66

dean66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

I found recovery discs for that computer, I believe..In a drawer under it.  There are two discs together sealed that say System Recovery, disc 1-2.  They've never been opened.  Other discs in same envelope are: HPMedia Center PC Supplemental Recovery Disc, Wireless Adapter CD, v 3.0.6, and one that seems to be for the LCD Monitor.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

No windows installer disc or was that included?

If its not there then dont worry if you have another computer you can make a thumbdrive to reinstall windows 7 with.

A thumbdrive can be found these days for real cheap that will have the space you will need to make a recovery disk

As long as you have a key you will be good to go :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 January 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 dean66

dean66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

I believe I'll let that computer die a dignified death and chalk it up to experience.  Thank you very much! 

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

Eh if you wish but if it can be recovered you still got a decent machine there, if its just a dead hard disk it wont be too much trouble to make it work again

Heck you dont even need windows, replace the hard disk and pop linux on it and it will be good as new :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 January 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users