Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot display webpage, insecure connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marrve

marrve

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

I've got a couple problems with some websites not working but others do work:

IE can't go to microsoft.com but it can for example go to bleepingcomputer.com. When trying to go to microsoft.com it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". But bing.com does work.

Meanwhile Firefox can't go to google.com, or microsoft.com either. It says they use an invalid security certificate. But IE can go to google.com.

Also, on IE, the news pages on bleepingcomputer.com don't load the css stylesheets (but they do on the forum), and on Firefox the stylesheets don't load on mozilla.org. Sites like majorgeeks will work somewhat but then when I get through to some download links they get the cannot display the webpage error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marrve

marrve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

I still have a problem with IE not being able to visit microsoft.com  but I fixed the firefox problems by changing one setting in Kaspersky: In Kaspersky's network settings, Encrypted connections scanning, I changed it to "Do not scan encrypted connections", rebooted and Firefox is working normally now.

I Reset IE's settings, but the problem still occurs in IE.

Even when I reboot in safe mode with networking IE still can't go to microsoft.com

Edited by marrve, 22 January 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

FWIW:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/813444/you-cannot-log-in-to-or-connect-to-secured-web-sites-in-internet-explorer .

Louis

#4 marrve

marrve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the link. Ok I did everything on that page except for system restore, and I still have the problem (IE can't visit microsoft.com). I forgot to mention that IE *can* visit update.microsoft.com and do windows updates. But it can't go to microsoft.com or support.microsoft.com

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

I don't have an answer for you...I encountered the same situation months ago.  My "solution" was to install/use Firefox to access all websites and that works for me.

It goes without saying...there is no reason whatever to use IE, since there are known security holes and MS stopped issuing critical updates for XP many months ago.  There is no reason to even want to go to Windows Update.

Louis

#6 marrve

marrve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

I think my next possible solution would be to uninstall and reinstall the ethernet driver, or see if I can uninstall or roll back IE. But I'm not going to bother, no point risking additional problems on ideas that probably won't work anyway.

I agree, I think it's dumb to use IE and even dumb to use XP (because of the lack of updates) (I'm fixing this PC as a favor for someone else). I will be telling them to use firefox, and in fact I think they already have been.

However, I did have one use for Windows Update - I was surprised to see that it offers MSE. I didn't think they had MSE for XP. I'm going to leave windows updates on, because, perhaps it's needed for the MSE updates?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

MSE downloads can be done without using the auto Win Update feature.  See https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx .

Louis

#8 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the link. Ok I did everything on that page except for system restore, and I still have the problem (IE can't visit microsoft.com). I forgot to mention that IE *can* visit update.microsoft.com and do windows updates. But it can't go to microsoft.com or support.microsoft.com

Don't worry. I too cannot visit microsoft.com or support.microsoft.com using IE8. :wink:

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users