Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gmail makes me feel stupid

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

I don't like gmail, but many tell me how good it is so I keep trying to use it, and, have a few accounts attached to it.  

My Question is, how do I Sign-out without logging out of Google?  It seems if I choose Sign-out, it logs me out of Google, then I can't get back into things like youtube account.  Google IMO takes it a little to far trying to link all these things together.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

You don't.  Your Google Account is your Google Account for all Google Services.  You're either logged in using a specific ID to access any of them at the account level or your are not.

You can add accounts to the Gmail web interface to allow you to simultaneously view e-mail from more than one account, each in its own window/tab, but you still have to log in to the accounts when you first try to open an alternate.  In Chrome, whichever account it was that you first logged in to a Google Service with under Chrome remains primary and if you open other services they will open under that account.

It's been like this for a very long time now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Okay, starting to understand now Brian.  Was just logging in and out of youtube and email back and forth to see what is going on.  

Also confusing, is how it is intertwined with Google Sync in Chrome, which was one of the reasons I mentioned how everything was "Linked", but it appears that "Sync" is somewhat separate as far as logging into gmail and youtube accounts.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 January 2017 - 04:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

One ring  account to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

pcpunk,

Yes, Chrome sync is sort of a thing of its own, as it's meant to carry settings across environments where you use Chrome whether or not you're using any Google Service at the time.  It's the same as Firefox Sync in that regard.  You really have to think about what a thing is doing.  I could be mistaken, but I think you can "Sign in to Chrome" (which is how sync is handled) using an e-mail address that's not even affiliated with Google at all, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Browser settings (and other bits that are browser specific) are connected via a sync or Chrome sign-in account.  Google Services - gmail, youtube, calendar, drive, hangouts - are all attached to a Google Account.  Though, of course, many people use their Google Account e-mail as their Chrome sign-in id, it need not be that way.  When I was testing out the ability to use multiple Gmail accounts within one browser my Chrome sign-in remained untouched.  The same is true in parallel when I log in to more than one Gmail account in Firefox my Firefox sync account remains untouched.  The purposes of a services account and a browser (note, browser - not Google Drive) sync account really need have no overlap.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yeah Brian, that's what all my ADD confusion is about lol.  I Sign-In to Google Chrome Sync with this same gmail address, it all seems to work beautifully but a little confusing.  When I started all this computer stuff I had multiple gmail accounts, which confused me, because I was signing into both Chrome Sync Accounts too...o-boy lol.  I still don't like gmail lol, but I'll work on it, I really need to learn this stuff for work, your help is much appreciated as usual.  

pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

It used to be you could have a separate Youtube account from Gmail, even after Google bought Youtube. It's annoying, but then again so would having to sign into every service (Youtube, Gmail, Google Doc, Photo, Twitch, Google Fiber, etc) separately. 

Besides Google's sign in system, what other problems or issues do you have with Gmail? Feature wise, I can't think of a free provider that comes close. Most of the complaints I have heard have to do with privacy and complicated, indirect support system.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Trikein, I have some health issues that cause me to be unfocused...call it ADD if you will.  I have trouble with the Interface more than my favorite Yahoo Mail.  I'll need to use it more to provide some input here but yahoo is just so darn easy to use for me.  I've never had a Security issue with either, so maybe I'm doing something right?

Just yesterday was trying to create a Folder for saved emails, and that alone was giving me troubles but eventually got it.  For me, I don't want to mess around with software that is not intuitive, unfortunately gmail is very popular so I need to learn it much better.  That being said, it's Free, and many people love it.  I'll plug away with it as much as possible in the near future.  Also, some sites won't even accept my poor little Yahoo email lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

"Trikein, I have some health issues that cause me to be unfocused"

That is humorous because so do I! I have HFA with PTSD and OCD tendencies. I can't NOT focus...literally. Makes trying to watch a movie hard.

"my favorite Yahoo Mail. "

I assume this is why you changed? 1 Billion accounts hacked is a big number. 

"For me, I don't want to mess around with software that is not intuitive, "

It's always a balance between user friendliness and power features. If not, we would all still be using WebTV to send email still. Everything is a learning curve. 

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

No, didn't change...I love me some Yahoo.  But I need to know how to use gmail for various reasons, one being work, the other...as mentioned, sites that don't favor yahoo.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

I guess this really is a "different strokes for different folks" situation.   My first e-mail address (which I still have, but don't use) was a Yahoo address.  When Gmail came out and I got an account I was a convert almost from day one.  I find most of their interface quite intuitive but I also love the fact that it allows a lot of heavy-duty customization if your someone who wishes that.  On top of it all, they supported access by POP (ugh) and IMAP from day one, so if someone wants to use an e-mail client program (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, Opera Mail, etc.) with it that's always been possible.

About the only thing I absolutely hate is their use of the terminology "label" for what everyone else calls a folder and which is, in actuality, implemented as an IMAP folder.  Why they ever chose that redesignation I have no earthly idea.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

No, didn't change...I love me some Yahoo.  But I need to know how to use gmail for various reasons, one being work, the other...as mentioned, sites that don't favor yahoo.

So your fine that your account was hacked and it took them 4 years to tell anyone? To each their own, indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users