Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 on Two Hard Drives in One Computer.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

I have a new computer with a 2TB on which Windows 7 is installed.

I have an old computer (much smaller hard drive) on which Windows 7 and MS Office is installed.

I want to put the hard drive from the old computer into the new computer to be able to use Office in the new computer.

How do I do that and avoid conflict between the two OSs and access Office for regular use while using the larger hard drive for Windows 7.

I'm not sure I want to delete Windows 7 from the larger hard drive but would be willing to do so and just boot from the smaller hard drive and use the larger one just for data and other applications.

I do not have an Office install disk.

If you need information about my system, ask away.

Otherwise, general comments would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2017 - 07:00 PM.
Emphasis added - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

No can do.

To be used by an O/S, any application must be installed on that Windows version.

Moving a hard drive from System A to System B and then expecting it to work...is an exercise in self-frustration...unless System A and System B are exactly identical in components and Windows versions and applicable licenses.  Even if the equipment happened to be identical...you could not move a hard drive from an OEM system to a non-OEM or different OEM system...because the licenses applicable would be different.

If you cannot install Office...there's no way that you can use it from the new system, running only the new system.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

You may be able to transfer the Office license from the old computer's hard drive to the new. What Office version is it?

#4 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

Office 12.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

From my understanding Office 12 is Office 2007. If the key is valid for a download, go here and download Office 2007. You can pull the Office key with Produkey.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office?culture=en-US&ref=o12

Install Office 2007 to the new computer with your key. If you have not activated Office more than three times it should activate.

If are not allowed to download Office then there are free alternatives that can read and write Office Files. They do not have Outlook or Publisher.

Libre Office

WPS Office Free

Softmaker Office Free

#6 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Now I'm confused. I think I meant Office 2012.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

I am not sure there was a Microsoft Office 2012. There was 2007,2010, and 2013.

When you start Office what version does it give? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#8 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Ah, it's Office 2010.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

Pull your key with Produkey I linked to in my previous post and see if that key allows you to download Office 2010. If it does then install it using the key found with Produkey.

#10 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Done, but installation says I'm already maxed out on Office installations. Must be because I have other computers in the house (laptop, TV, etc).

So I'm back to the idea of moving the hard drive.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

Correct, you are only allowed three installs but you cannot use the other hard drive to run Office as it uses the registry of the bootable hard drive and there are no registry entries. I would call Microsoft and see if you can get a transfer from the old computer to the new one. They may allow you one extra install.

Call (888) 571-2048 and wait for a live person. Good Luck

#12 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Nope. That's the activation recording that doesn't work when the screen says phone activation not available.

Next idea?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

See this link on contacting Microsoft for transferring a license of 2010

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Activate-Office-2010-1fe7340c-50e2-458f-8677-f57f5a140f46?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

#14 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.

#15 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:28 AM

I have a new computer with a 2TB on which Windows 7 is installed.

I have an old computer (much smaller hard drive) on which Windows 7 and MS Office is installed.

I want to put the hard drive from the old computer into the new computer to be able to use Office in the new computer.

How do I do that and avoid conflict between the two OSs and access Office for regular use while using the larger hard drive for Windows 7.

I'm not sure I want to delete Windows 7 from the larger hard drive but would be willing to do so and just boot from the smaller hard drive and use the larger one just for data and other applications.

I do not have an Office install disk.

If you need information about my system, ask away.

Otherwise, general comments would be helpful.

Thanks.

It's possible to migrate a hard drive from one computer to another.  Your problem is drivers.  The drivers installed on system "A" are not what system "B" will need.  There's a wide range of possibilities if you try it.  Best case scenario is that you get a working video and working internet, and from there you can either run windows update and maybe it will install all the drivers you need for everything else.  I've seen this work from this point where the User runs a Repair Install using a CD or DVD, which will then install the correct default MS drivers.

Failing that, you can sometimes get a Windows CD or DVD to successfully run a Repair Install on a hard drive that will NOT boot.  MS did some minor tricks to prevent Installation Disks from being "universal" on all installations, and there are ways around that, but they are tedious and chance of success are 50/50 at best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users