Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black page blinking cursor _after backup restore_

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 viewerx

viewerx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

HP pavilion slimline s5414y  Win7 home premium

Hi, due to past issues that were bloatware and not a bad HDD, I have a spare. Also a WD backup drive

I have had problems that point to a very old Win7.  I decided to swap out HDDs [j.i.c.] and take one to Factory Settings to clean the C:.   I used Acronis TI for WD to backup everything first. [have had this Acronis app for years]

Swapped the HDDs, took it to factory, set up backup restore w/ shut off when done, went to bed.

Next day powered up: black screen [with whitish edges] and top left blinking cursor.  Tried a few keys and powered off - split second drop of blue power color and fan sounds.

On attempts to power up there is a moment of HP blue with F# options. then to black. 

Have read about Alt+Ctl_Del to get Task Manager and more to regedit , etc to be sure SHELL has EXPLORER.EXE but this and others were for _sudden_ Black Screen.

Ideas, suggestions are very welcome.

[You folks have helped in past - cannot understand why my usual user name for forums was not recognized - it _has_ been years.]

Thank you,

Edited by viewerx, 23 January 2017 - 03:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 viewerx

viewerx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:24 AM

I swapped it out again after remembering and finding my Hiren's Boot and repair disc and a totally forgotten Acronis Rescue Boot.

First I tried all the F#s. No response from F11: system restore.  F10: setup, ESC: Boot Menu and F9: Diagnostic. Everything looked ok.  Disc 1 was the Toshiba HDD, everything tested as OK. F9: CPU, Memory and Drive all okay.  A test or two on the Hiren's were all ok.

Acronis Rescue Boot showed that if I wanted I could backup what was on the disc, but the Windows  boot just sat there for 5 minutes.  Same with the Hiren's; "Booting Boot from disc" just sat there for 10 minutes. Blink blink blink went the cursor.

Alt+Ctl+Del did no more than pushing the power button: black to blue & F#s to blinking cursor

Did the WD Passport backup restore kill my HDD?  Factory Settings were fine.  I did delete some free trial crap and the EBay links, but, I did not mess with anything else.

Thanks,

Alt+Ctl+Del did no more than pushing the power button: black to blue & F#s to blinking cursor

#3 viewerx

viewerx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Someone told me that the Boot discs find a 'lost' OS. If I get a Win7 ISO (after entering a slew of numbers) it would be a full loader of the OS not a finder.  Not sure if I just use it or need to erase and reformat.

Edited by viewerx, 23 January 2017 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users