Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn off my laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sinine

sinine

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

For some reason I'm unable to shut down my laptop. It just goes into sleep mode. To get it turned off I have to unplug it while it's running and I don't wanna do that cause I've heard it's bad for the laptop. I don't have a battery in it. So what could be the cause? I ran my virus scanner, nothing detected. I have windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

I would first turn off fast startup then open a command prompt. Press the Windows key + X > cmd and type the following command.

shutdown -s

Reboot and see if the computer shuts down normally.

#3 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

Okay, I unticked it and it works now. Thank you! :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

No problem, glad it worked for you. Turning off fast startup is the first thing I would do on a Windows 10 computer. Fast startup creates a type of hybrid shutdown to create a faster startup but it can lead to problems especially if you need to boot a live linux disk to write back to the disk as the drive with fast startup enabled becomes read only when booted with a live linux disk.

#5 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Okay. I don't know why it stopped shutting down all of a sudden. I've had this computer for years nad never had a problem with it like that. And as far as I know it was always ticked.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Does it shutdown using the shutdown -s command?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users