Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Pro - Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

So i've recently built a new computer and installed Win8.1 Pro on it.

Now, since the beginning i've had problems with windows update. I noticed a lot of noise and checked on Task manager. The CPU was at 51% (on a i76770k) and wupdate was running eternally without finding any update. I've tried to google the problem and to run the win troubleshoot but it didn't lead to any result. So i've currently disabled wupdate service and i'm now fine.

Any idea?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: WSUS Offline manage to download updates correctly. 

Edited by donisonleague, 22 January 2017 - 11:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matlaw

Matlaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Looks like I'm not alone!
I have same issue on two computers, also with Win8.1 Pro.
My Windows Update service worked until January 10th, since then it's "searching for updates" without using anything but the CPU. Microsoft doesn't seem to care, their support didn't help.
However, it's possible to install updates offline, but you have to delete Software Distribution folder. Being online with WU service enabled, rebuilds the folder in few minutes (it's ~150 MB when rebuilt) and the issue is back. 
I have no idea how to fix this crap, especially when I just rolled back from Win10 month ago.

#3 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Looks like I'm not alone!
I have same issue on two computers, also with Win8.1 Pro.
My Windows Update service worked until January 10th, since then it's "searching for updates" without using anything but the CPU. Microsoft doesn't seem to care, their support didn't help.
However, it's possible to install updates offline, but you have to delete Software Distribution folder. Being online with WU service enabled, rebuilds the folder in few minutes (it's ~150 MB when rebuilt) and the issue is back. 
I have no idea how to fix this crap, especially when I just rolled back from Win10 month ago.

What are you using to download them? Because WSUS offline works, but it's really to slow to consider using it, at least for me (10 kb/s, whilst normal download speed for me is 2.5-3 MB/s)

#4 Matlaw

Matlaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Well, it's not slow for me. Nevertheless I've just found solution to my problem.
You have to download all updates using Microsoft site or Windows Update Catalog, but WSUS is the best, because it downloads everything at once (hopefully the speed will be better).
Set WinUpdate service to manual and stop it, delete SoftwareDistribution folder and install updates offline. For me few updates were enough, but you need other ones.
Have you installed any update yet?

Edited by Matlaw, 22 January 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#5 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Managed to do everything by deleting Software Distribution folder and launch WSUS without rebooting, i've downloaded the updates at normal speed and now i should be able to install them. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users