Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Struggling to install Chromium on desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 UsedToKnowComputers

UsedToKnowComputers

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hello all

As the title suggest, I'm having a little difficulty.  I have a relative who used the computer for fairly basic things like watching youtube and searching online.  He had a habit of clicking and downloading things he didn't realize were dangerous and the computer is pretty bogged down with malware and viruses.  My thought was to wipe the harddrive and install Chromium as I thought this would be a fairly lite install and my understanding is that it may be better suited to protect him from viruses due to the inability to run executable files.

The computer is a Gateway desktop that was running Windows 7 (I believe).  

As my username suggests, I'm a little out of my game here.  I tried to use DBAN to wipe and it "finished" with non-fatal errors.  I repeated twice more and same results.  I then thought, well let me try to install Chromium off of my flash drive now.  I thought I followed the steps but it is telling me that it "can not determine the destination drive" and asks me to specify.

I have no clue what is wrong and what to do.

1.  Did DBAN not actually wipe my hard drive?

2.  Did I need to partition my hard drive after DBAN?  If so, how do I do that?

3.  What am I missing with Chromium and the refusal to install?  How do I specify the hard drive?  

Thanks in advance everyone, happy to provide any additional information to help garner a response.  I may need some handholding on how to obtain such information though!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Well you are in the wrong section for one anyhow.

If the virus did heavy damage it may be best to back up any data and reinstall the OS

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 UsedToKnowComputers

UsedToKnowComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Madman

Where should this post be parked?  I assumed because Chromium is linux-based this was the right place.

Also, a secondary reason for moving over to Chromium is that we don't have the backup CD for Windows, but primary is for the aforementioned reasons.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

Oh you mean chromium OS

Well there you may still want another distro, chromium OS does not have features like DRM flash and netflix support so if you want that regular linux is going to be better.

Plus linux is going to offer more apps than chromium OS will

I would use linux mint for a newcomer over chromium OS

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 January 2017 - 12:20 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 UsedToKnowComputers

UsedToKnowComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Thanks man

As a follow-up question, knowing that I am essentially trying to "dummy proof" his computer, do you have any recommendations to do this?  Let's assume that the user is someone who wouldn't be able to discern between a good and a bad pop-up/link, hence why Chromium OS was appealing.  I figure if he can't download .exe files, I'm reducing a lot of the risk.

Alternatively, if there is a good resource on how to set up a computer with the appropriate firewalls, malware prevention and virus protection, then maybe I'll go the route you're suggesting.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Well yes linux can be very dummy proof.

Linux does not use .exes for one so it is resistant to windows viruses and linux viruses are non existant.

Most linux distros also have built in firewalls mint included and its default settings for firewall are pretty good

Linux has no malware to speak of

Of course its not bulletproof but it can offer ten times more security than any windows OS.

It has user passwords, users having limited root/administration access and most security issues you can run into it like browser hijackers are easily removed.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 January 2017 - 12:27 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 UsedToKnowComputers

UsedToKnowComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

You're giving me some hope here!!

Can you provide any further info on the user passwords/room restriction?  Is that intuitive enough to pick up on my own or should I do some research on that?

I'm assuming Mint is easy enough to install from a USB as well?

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

Madman

Where should this post be parked?  I assumed because Chromium is linux-based this was the right place.

Also, a secondary reason for moving over to Chromium is that we don't have the backup CD for Windows, but primary is for the aforementioned reasons.

1. If you want Chromium here is the Section of the Forum you should be in.  

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/10/dospdaother/

Unfortunately I don't know anything about it so I think Madman has given you enough info on that.

2. You can also Download Windows Seven if you like and install that.

a. As far as Malware goes on Window 7, you could get him a Paid Version of one of the popular AV Suites, and tell him to NEVER click or download anything without asking someone like you first. 

3. Linux may be the ticket, it is easy to download, easy to install, and easy to Update, and certainly will be far less Malware Prone.  Windows 7 can be difficult unless you get help from folks here on the W7 Forum.  Either way, it will take you the better part of the day to install, update and setup his personal apps and files.

If you are patient you will get some good help here eventually.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

You're giving me some hope here!!

Can you provide any further info on the user passwords/room restriction?  Is that intuitive enough to pick up on my own or should I do some research on that?

I'm assuming Mint is easy enough to install from a USB as well?

Yes yes and yes

In most cases under linux the root account is locked out and or given its own password.

There is sudo which can give a user more advanced permissions but limited to installing packages and such but is still safer than how windows does it by allowing complete root access by default and or having a one click option.

Linux has several built in security features and is very hard to mess up by the end user.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 January 2017 - 12:32 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 UsedToKnowComputers

UsedToKnowComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Thanks PC

All of your points are well taken.  For your second point, let's just put it this way, he is not in a position to follow directions very easily, which is why I need to make it dummy-proof.  

I think I'm going to try the Mint install, this has all been great advice.

I'm happy I finally decided to post here, I've lurked for a while on various topics but finally reached out on a topic I needed help with.

Next posts from me will probably be on my potential PC build!

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Well Mint has one feature that makes it great as do most other linux versions:

The live image

Linux uses live images to help out those new to the system look at and learn the system before installing it

kind of like a try before you buy scenario except the only cost is how much your live media is :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 January 2017 - 12:51 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Thanks PC

All of your points are well taken.  For your second point, let's just put it this way, he is not in a position to follow directions very easily, which is why I need to make it dummy-proof.  

I understand, I work with older people all the time, a few of them use Linux.

Thanks PC

I think I'm going to try the Mint install, this has all been great advice.

No problem, I think madman has given you some good advice.  One thing I will suggest, for an older person, is to download this version of Linux Mint if you have 64bit pc, which most Windows 7 machines are, but you'll need to check first.  This version is at the Link Madman provided.  It has at least one feature that is great for older people, you can Expand the Menu and add all his favorite Apps to the Favorites Section.  This way whenever the Menu is clicked on he will see everything he needs.  This is a very new version of Linux so if you want to post the Model Number of the pc, and not the Serial Number, we can take a look to make sure you won't have any issues.  It's like installing Windows 10 to an older machine, sometimes there are known issues with some hardware, and sometimes not, but it's easier to find out beforehand.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=228

And yes, you can create a live USB or DVD and even try it out before you install it, like Madman said.  You mentioned a USB so I will leave you with this software that will allow you to create the USB from the downloaded iso file.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

Indeed a model number and some hardware info will be nice but if it can run windows 7 then any linux distro will run fine on it

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 January 2017 - 01:01 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Indeed a model number and some hardware info will be nice but if it can run windows 7 then any linux distro will run fine on it

Not true brother, I've tried to install Linux Mint (and this includes Ubuntu of course) to quite a few Windows 7 machines, and they won't install or boot, depending on which piece of hardware is the culprit.  Graphics is usually the first issue, the other would be Wifi.  Most will be fine, but no sense in installing something that won't work and waste all that time.  Also had issues with some W7 machines, where the File Manager...while it's minimized...will get stuck in the Panel.  These were all with Mint Mate 18.0, 18.1 may be better.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Well yes it depends on GPU and wifi but I mean in terms of how well it will run.

Most hardware made for 7 should work for linux just use free GPU drivers and the correct wifi cards.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users