Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unauthorized user account created. Called ASP.Net Machine Account. What is it

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JD-0021

JD-0021

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Unauthorized user account created. Called ASP.Net Machine Account. What is it? Mind you, I have never connected this computer to the Internet and keep it in airplane mode. Have done research on this subject on this site by searching for aspnet.exe and found interesting info stating it is Mal ware. Any more info on subject?

Edited by JD-0021, 22 January 2017 - 10:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

That may not be an unauthorized account, rather that might part and parcel of Windows and Remote Client/Host setup.

ASP.NET is an open-source server-side web application framework designed for web development to produce dynamic web pages. It was developed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites, web applications and web services.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

OK, I have read the same online as well about .net framework. However, my question is, why all of a sudden would it create an user account? Have had this computer for months and started with factory reset. I have never connected it online in any way.

#4 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

The whole time I have owned it it hasn't created itself an account. Why now do you think?

#5 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thank you for your input

#6 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

I noticed you had mentioned remote client/host setup. So in order for this application to operate I would, or someone would have to install it manually on the computer right? Especially for a computer that has not ever made a connection to the internet. Maybe for the purpose of creating remote connection capability in the future through an app or website.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

I have no answer to your excellent questions; all I know is asp.net is not an unauthorized account; beyond that, you have to wait for others who can ask you the right questions and give you the right answers.  I have never explored asp.net or its operations   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thank you. I do agree with you and understand that asp.net is legitimate. No question there. I just don't understand how and why it would create a physical standard user account login with password protection and all. And why the program would decide to do it now with no outside connection prompting the program to do so. It's interesting to me is all. It did allow me to delete the user account. There is also lots of info online stating the same issue happening onlyrics the user account assumed administration account and changed all other accounts on system to standard, locking people out of their machines. Scary I think. Will have to do some fishing around later to see if it entered system through a USB I connected to it earlier.
Thank you for your support

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

https://forums.asp.net/t/758994.aspx?Why+is+there+an+ASP+NET+account+on+my+machine+

Louis

#10 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Great link. Thank you. However the question still lingers for me, what app would update without Internet connection? And I didn't install any programs. Completely disconnected from any outside connection since I bought it. But thank you for that info, I will use it to do further research later.

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

What version of Windows do you have on that machine?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#12 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

I have win 8.1 very 9600. However I haven't even entered a key for it yet. Just have an iso on it. I bought it a few months ago, completely factory reset, clean as a whistle. And I use it only for studying IT for school, and hasn't been connected to any Internet at all, not once. That has been very important to me for the purpose of having an unaffected computer for my IT studies. I have however transferred a couple resumes and my excell finance files to and fro via a USB drive from my other computer which is my Internet computer. Oh, You know what I did do however? I recently downloaded Microsoft Process Explorer to USB and put it on my non Internet PC. Hmm... maybe the culprit? However, I also have that program downloaded to my Internet pc and I have never had some new user name show up.

#13 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

You did not turn on Internet Information Services in Turn Windows features on or off.

Or installed software that requires IIS?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users