Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update monitoring thread

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

Just wondering if rp88 is active on this thread as there have not been any replies since 15 Jan. I still have the Dec. quality rollup update and would like to know if I should go ahead and install it and hope for the best. I also have the Dec. security quality monthly update for .NET framework.

I am running windows 8.1 64 Bit.  Thank you.

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

The only thing I can tell you is I installed both updates in De. I've had no problems with either

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Got a cumulative security update for IE11 KB3021952, just wondering if it's ok to install. I don't use IE at all, I just use chrome and sometimes firefox.

Edited by Moe_P, 04 February 2017 - 12:54 PM.

Moe_P

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

Done it. No issues...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Thanks, I did the Dec. one also with no problems.

Moe_P

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

I dont even bother anymore trying to decide what to install from the updates.

After installing July Rollup 2016 , and then sorting what and not up to  Nov , i gave up after the Win 10 Fiasco was done and Dusted.

After  Nov 2016 , Any Pcs i fix or my own , i just manually check for updates every 2-3 weeks and install all.

The Rollups continue and other Updates and have had no issues , just ignore any Driver Updates { Use the Manufacturer Sites }.

#7 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Havachat.

Moe_P

#8 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

This morning I got that update KB2976978 in the optional section, that's the one we had to keep hiding when they were pushing the win 10 upgrade, why would they be putting it out again ???

I haven't done anything with it yet.

Moe_P

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Install the Critical Updates , and Ignore the Optional Updates .....thats why their Optional. { No need to Hide } .

I completed a Laptop last week , and by choice installed everything that was available , Critical and Optional , { Not Drivers } have had no issues.

Either way you go , its your decision or option to take , but best bet would be to take an Image of the Drive prior to doing any Updates , doesnt take long to do { 20 Min }.

Then if you have any issues , you can reload the previous Image and your back up running.

I load all systems currently with Macrium Reflect Free , Image after Install , then load Programs and Updates , if all goes to plan and running ok then do final Image as a Dated Backup Point.

Edited by Havachat, 12 February 2017 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users