Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 defection

defection

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hi guys,
I was lucky enough to have a power cut a couple of hours ago, and despite the PC being on a surge plug it seems to have broken one of my internal harddrives.

I've never had a problem with it til now, but I tried to find it in my computer to no avail, however when I go to Disk Management I'm told I need to Initialise Disk.

Since I'm aware this would cause me to format it, does anyone by any chance have any alternative ideas I can try to attempt to get it back to it's previous state?

Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Is the drive listed as RAW in Disk Management? What is the OS? How large is the drive? What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 defection

defection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for your response.

I am running Windows 10 on an Asus M51BC PC, from what I can remember the drive is 2TB.

Here's all I can see from Disk Management for the disk:

Disk 2

Unknown

Not Initialised

If I right click in Disk Management and scroll through, it says that it's working correctly and says I have the correct driver when I try to automatically find them.

If I go under 'Events' I am shown the following, unsure of whether it makes any difference, but may make more sense to you.

'Device not migrated'

Information:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&fa535c2&0&020000 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_MASS&PROD_STORAGE_DEVICE&REV__\125C20100726&0
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF130
Present: false

Thanks in advance.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

Unknown, not initialized is not a good sign. I would first try connecting the SATA cable to a different SATA port if available. If that does not work then you can either pull the drive and place it in an enclosure or you can boot a live linux disk and see if it can mount the drive.

You can also try scanning the disk with Testdisk and see if can pull data but I am not confident of it working if the drive shows as not initialized. There are programs like Easeus Data Recovery and Minitools Data Recovery that will scan the drive. PhotoRec, part of Testdisk will scan the drive and recover files in realtime but the program recovers files with generic names and the correct extension you would need to rename the files found.

All the mentioned programs can do it to the drive in an enclosure or to the internal drive if it can be detected by the programs.

Edit: I can give instruction to use a live linux disk if changing the SATA cable location does not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#5 defection

defection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

Thank you John, I shall be heading back in a little while and I will change the SATA port and go from there.

Thanks for your time and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users