Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive failing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 xTeChN0

xTeChN0

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

Hi!

I might have a failing hard drive, but I am not sure so I wanted to try and ask in this forum. The PC and a hard drive is almost 5 years old.

Lately I have heard a couple of times a weird squeaky noise from my hard drive. It has happent a couple of times and

it did not last long it was just kind of a one squeak. I tried to run WD Data Life Guard. A quick test didn´t even start it showed that it failed and the status code was 07. The extended test ran for about 6 hours and came up with bad sectors (I think it showed 1 bad sector) and it could not repair. Then I used other HDD monitoring software like hard drive sentinel (trial) and it showed that everything is fine (health good and no wear, everything was about 98%). Then I tried to use passmarks DiskCheckup and it could not run either quick nor a long test. Had some kind of and error.  Last thing I tried was windows own check disk (chkdsk). I ran it from my computer and from properties (tools) of that disk. The disk itself is a secondary disk (without operating system). For windows I have 120GB SSD. Chkdsk prompted to run on startup and i scheduled it. On restart the chkdsk did not start. It booted to a black screen and I waited about half an hour for it to start, but nothing happened. Only thing that showed on the black screen was some kind of a line on top of the screen (across the top edge of the screen). The line was blurry and consisted of colored pixels. And at the start of this black screen in chkdsk the hard drive was making a high pitched noise like squealing of some sorts. The sound went away in about a minute or so and then nothing. The smart status in all programs shows up as everything is ok. In performance part I think everything is working fine and I haven´t found any corrupt files or anything suspicious while using this drive. Just that it does not pass or even start any HDD tests and a couple of times heard some odd sound. Most of the time it just sounds like a normal hard drive.

So i am hoping to get some insight from people with experience or advice on what to do. Change the hard drive or not?

I have searched a lot of forums and kind of did not find anything very similar to what I am experiencing.

Here are specs from Piriform Speccy:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 33 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758) (SOCKET 0) 36 °C
Graphics
S24E391 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ASUS VW191S (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (ATI AIB) 41 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
111GB KINGSTON SHFS37A120G ATA Device (SSD) 29 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

And just in case I will post HDD info and Smart status from Speccy:

Storage

Hard drives
WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device
Manufacturer Western Digital
Heads 16
Cylinders 243 201
Tracks 62 016 255
Sectors 3 907 024 065
SATA type SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ATA8-ACS
Serial Number WD-WMAZA8509338
Firmware Version Number 51.0AB51
LBA Size 48-bit LBA
Power On Count 2794 times
Power On Time 873,5 days
Features S.M.A.R.T., NCQ
Max. Transfer Mode SATA III 6.0Gb/s
Used Transfer Mode SATA III 6.0Gb/s
Interface SATA
Capacity 1863 GB
Real size 2 000 398 934 016 bytes
RAID Type None

S.M.A.R.T

Status Good
Temperature 33 °C
Temperature Range OK (less than 50 °C)
S.M.A.R.T attributes
Attribute name Read Error Rate
Real value 0
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 51
Raw Value 000000001C
Status Good
Attribute name Spin-Up Time
Real value 6125 ms
Current 177
Worst 164
Threshold 21
Raw Value 00000017ED
Status Good
Attribute name Start/Stop Count
Real value 3 910
Current 97
Worst 97
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000F46
Status Good
Attribute name Reallocated Sectors Count
Real value 0
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 140
Raw Value 0000000000
Status Good
Attribute name Seek Error Rate
Real value 0
Current 100
Worst 253
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000000
Status Good
Attribute name Power-On Hours (POH)
Real value 873d 11h
Current 72
Worst 72
Threshold 0
Raw Value 00000051E3
Status Good
0A
Attribute name Spin Retry Count
Real value 0
Current 100
Worst 100
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000000
Status Good
0B
Attribute name Recalibration Retries
Real value 0
Current 100
Worst 100
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000000
Status Good
0C
Attribute name Device Power Cycle Count
Real value 2 794
Current 98
Worst 98
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000AEA
Status Good
C0
Attribute name Power-off Retract Count
Real value 98
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000062
Status Good
C1
Attribute name Load/Unload Cycle Count
Real value 430 867
Current 57
Worst 57
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000069313
Status Good
C2
Attribute name Temperature
Real value 33 °C
Current 117
Worst 105
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000021
Status Good
C4
Attribute name Reallocation Event Count
Real value 0
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000000
Status Good
C5
Attribute name Current Pending Sector Count
Real value 1
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000001
Status Good
C6
Attribute name Uncorrectable Sector Count
Real value 1
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000001
Status Good
C7
Attribute name UltraDMA CRC Error Count
Real value 0
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000000
Status Good
C8
Attribute name Write Error Rate / Multi-Zone Error Rate
Real value 1
Current 200
Worst 200
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000000001
Status Good

Partition 0

Partition ID Disk #0, Partition #0
Disk Letter D:
File System NTFS
Volume Serial Number 16DDBE8D
Size 1863 GB
Used Space 706 GB (37%)
Free Space 1156 GB (63%)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:29 AM

I use a tool that will give you read times on your disk, so it can show what state all the sectors are in as well as the one's that are failing.

wrgtw4.jpg Test your HDD with HDDScan.

• Download the zip archive and extract it to a new folder on your desktop.
  • Open the folder and double-click HDDScan.exe, and click Yes at the prompt.
  • First click on the 14akcy0.jpg button and wait for the report.
  • If any of the lights on the side are red please copy and paste the whole line in your reply.
  • If all are green, click on the blue disk orb in the middle of the screen 122ovt1.jpg and then "Surface Tests" from the menu that appears
  • In the new screen click 2hf3lmw.jpg
  • In the bottom Test Manager window double click the test that is executing.
  • Click on the Map tab, here you can watch the scan progress until it is finished.
  • The read times on the right are how long the blocks take to respond to query.

15f1ydd.jpg

• If you have any Bads the disk is faulty and needs replacing
  • if you have any >500ms entries your disk may become faulty sooner, rather than later.
  • <500ms entries are cautionary, this is a sign of an aging disk.

How does your disk show in the last two categories?

Edited by TsVk!, 22 January 2017 - 04:30 AM.

#3 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Thank you TsVk! for a fast reply and for a nice free HDD testing software. So I ran these scans.

SMART scan did not reveal any red lights, but I got 2 yellow ones:

Yellow 97 Current Pending Errors Count 200 200 0000000000-0001 000

Yellow 198 Uncorrectable Errors Count 200 200 0000000000-0001 000

And the surface test showed 79 in orange enteries (<500ms) no red ones. And one entry in Bads.

I will share a link from my google drive with the actual reports:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0Cy5EQakqmVRkJYRDBXUzI5Z3M?usp=sharing

So does it now mean that I should replace my HDD? 

Edited by xTeChN0, 22 January 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

It means your HDD is in decline. I highly recommend you buy another disk and clone your system soon, before you have to end up rebuilding your whole operating system.

Your current disk may yet still run for a while, but replacing it is inevitable. It's a quick job to clone your system and you'll be good to go, whereas you'll be stuffing around for days to rebuild your system how you like it again. In this situation I ask myself... How much is my time worth? What would I rather be doing than sitting around re-installing software? Then I don't hesitate and just go out and buy a new disk. It is already paid for by the time I will save.

If you need any help or advice with cloning just let me know.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Just to add to the subject.

Some disks will run with a bad sector for years, others with fail a month after the first one appearing. As your disk doesn't have any very slow sectors it's possible it could be one of the one's that keep going. It's also very possible that it will just crap itself and stop working soon. It's the same sort of situation when you put off repairs on your car. 

#6 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for your help! I think I will buy a new disk. But I would like to use you´re help a little bit more.

I have been looking for a replacement disk and kind of got down to 2 choices. One is Seagate SSHD Desktop FireCuda Guardian ST1000DX002 and the second one is WD black caviar WD1003FZEX. Both are 1TB drives as I actually do not need a lot of space. Never used more than about 800GB I think.

I want it to be my secondary drive (OS drive is on 120GB SSD) and I use it for storage, gaming, some 2D drawing and 3D modeling. I would like it to be faster than my old drive, but the budged does not reach much higher than those two drives I wrote about. And really 1TB is enough for my secondary drive. Speed and reliability is more important for me.

Which one out of those two drives are a better choice in your opinion and why? Or maybe you know another good 1TB drive in the same price range?

And yes I would like some help in cloning my drive. I have games and some programs with settings on my failing drive and I would like if after cloning I could get exactly the same situation on my PC as it is with my old drive. Do I need to look out for something when cloning? For example BIOS settings or putting my new drive in the same SATA socket after cloning and so on? Can you recommend some good free software to do the cloning? I have never cloned a drive so don´t know what to expect out of the process.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Out of the two drives, looking at the data sheets here.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/firecuda-family/firecuda/files/firecuda-ds-1903-1-1606us.pdf

https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771434.pdf

I see that although most of the specs are the same the power consumption is less with the Seagate, as well as the range of operating temps being slightly broader. So if I had to pick one I would go for the Seagate. I'm not really knowledgeable in the current offerings on the HDD market as I have gone completely to SSD, so sorry I can't offer you any further insight.

Cloning is really straight forward if

1. you have enough space on your target disk to contain all the data from your source disk
  2. use the right software for the application.

You don't have to worry about SATA ports, BIOS or anything like that. It's really quite simple.

As far as software goes I use Acronis True Image Home for basic Windows OS cloning, it has never let me down. It's a simple point and shoot software.

1. power off and attach only the two disks you want to work with (source and target)
  2. reboot to your Acronis boot disk you created
  3. click clone
  4. click Auto
  5. it will detect your disk with data and select that as the source, click ok
  6. it will confirm your empty disk as the target, click ok
  7. Wait for it to complete, then power down
  8. remove your old disk and your Acronis boot media
  9. Boot into your new disk :)

Other popular solutions I've heard talked about are EaseUS and Macrium Reflect. They are well rated and I've never heard a bad word about them. Both are probably extremely simple to use also, I've just not had any reason to try them as I've been using the same Acronis disk for maybe 8 years.

#8 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

Ok! And thank you for your help TsVk!. I was thinking about trying the Firecuda myself so I put an order in already. We´ll see how good this drive is. It should at least be better than my old drive. So an upgrade nonetheless. After I get the drive going to try cloning it.

#9 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

So while I am waiting for my new drive to arrive I was looking into that cloning stuff and found out that you cannot clone a disk with different sector sizes (bytes per sector). My old drive has 512 bytes per sector and new one that I ordered has 4096. Any insight on that?  :) Haven´t yet found any real possibility to do this cloning. Acronis True Image website is specifically saying that their program does not support this.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Use Macrium Reflect free or fee and make full images of your partitions onto external media; your present HD is going to go bad eventually.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

So while I am waiting for my new drive to arrive I was looking into that cloning stuff and found out that you cannot clone a disk with different sector sizes (bytes per sector). My old drive has 512 bytes per sector and new one that I ordered has 4096. Any insight on that?  :) Haven´t yet found any real possibility to do this cloning. Acronis True Image website is specifically saying that their program does not support this.

In this case you would need to use Clonezilla then. It's a Linux based program and has a lot more options and powerful commands. I've found that when using it you should be very certain about the settings that you use. Like all Linux systems, if you tell it to destroy your disks it will. No arguments. I use it to generate backups over networks and clone damaged disks, I have found it can sometimes be fiddly but will do the job where "point and shoot" software fails.

I suggest you try it first with it's default settings as a whole disk image. If that doesn't work try creating an image backup to another disk and then restoring it to your new disk. (I know it's starting to get more complicated).

#12 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

I ended up using Macrium Reflect Free and did a disk image and restored it to my new drive. Seemed a bit easier to do. Seems that everything is working as it should for now.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

If anything else happens do tell us, we got a lot of tech savvy folks round here so you are in good hands

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

I ended up using Macrium Reflect Free and did a disk image and restored it to my new drive. Seemed a bit easier to do. Seems that everything is working as it should for now.

That's great. I checked Macrium's documentation the other day and it said it didn't do 512>4096 cloning. I must have been reading old information, I'm glad it worked out. (I learned something too :) )

Happy computing. :busy:

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'm betting the target HD that was 4096 is now 512.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users