Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I still have a virus? What else can I do?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AricLey

AricLey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I'm going to give some background info first about my setup so things make more sense later. Hopefully someone can give some advice.

BACKGROUND INFO
I am technically running a triple boot (Windows 10 1/Windows 10 2/Linux). My computer came with Windows 8, upgraded to 10 and some time around last year apart from other problems, Windows 10 (1) started having issues with high CPU/Memory spikes so I began using Linux fully (before, I was dual booting with Windows being solely used for gaming).

From then on I mainly used Windows for backup purposes --- operating system wise and files wise. But because I wanted to continue gaming I eventually created a new partition in which I installed a 2nd Windows 10 with the hopes it would be better. In many ways it was, I still had inaccurate memory usage (470.0 MB somehow being 42% of Memory with 4 GB of RAM) but it wasn't as high as before and much smoother. I planned on formatting my Linux partition and adding that free space but never got around to it. I can't get back into Linux now because the boot entry was replaced upon installing Windows 10 (2).

THE SITUATION
I've been having a bad problem lately ever since I mistakenly downloaded and ran a virus a week or so ago. It injected a lot of malware onto my computer, I ran Malwarebytes which detected it all (seemingly) and removed it. For the next few days things were fine and I installed Sophos home.

After that, earlier this week, Windows became slower than slow out of nowhere. Everything was massively delayed and my computer was pretty much unbearable to use, I had to shut down. When I restarted it took forever to load --- each stage: The Toshiba screen, loading for the Windows operating system choice screen and afterwards for the login screen. I would say at least 4 to 6 minutes in total. My only choice was to format the partition and re-install which I did yesterday.

Now, for the most part it is in better condition than before. I installed VoodooShield from the download section here immediately. But there are still nerve wrecking problems such as temporary delay for certain things but the biggest issue being programs (e.g. Firefox, what I'm using now) constantly freezing/not responding almost every 30-50 seconds. Sometimes it's for 3 seconds and other times it can be extended. Booting still takes awhile, my latest BIOS time was 3:50. I'm not sure where all of that came from and what's causing it.

THE QUESTION(S)
Do I still have a virus? I formatted the partition and reinstalled on it but it still behaves weirdly and so does my computer in general with the increased load times. Even the installation media (USB) is delayed for a bit upon loading. What else can I do? Would I have to format the whole hard drive? restore the PC to factory default settings? I wanted to try installing another Linux distro over my old Linux partition and see if the same behavior persists but haven't tried it yet. Any suggestions? What do you think happened?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

Have you recently [before the malware hit] backed up your data folders and files?  If so, it might be time to re-install Windows afresh?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users