Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows 8.1 Key Works on Multiple PCs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

Somehow, my OEM Windows 8.1 License works on multiple computers. It was supposed to block me out or something (I think) but it worked like a charm, as if it were a retail/normal key! I used a program called "Key Finder" in order to grab the license key directly. Why did this work and can I duplicate the issue? (I don't want to buy a Windows 10 key if I can use my friend's key just for Kaby Lake CPUs)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I'm thinking this will catch up with you. Good luck

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I see what you mean. Looking into it now and I might have to purchase my own key. At the moment the key is kind of useless as none of my PCs are currently using it. I read into it and I guess I can use OEM keys five times until they are revoked. So currently i'm at 2/5 uses. If I lose the key it shouldn't matter much as the PC i'm using now is a throwaway. Thank you for the warning though <3

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

I don't want to buy a Windows 10 key if I can use my friend's key

What you are suggesting is illegal.  A OEM Windows operating system can only be used on the computer which the manufacturer installed it.  If can not be transferred to another computer.  

Please read the following Forum rule.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

I don't want to buy a Windows 10 key if I can use my friend's key

What you are suggesting is illegal.  A OEM Windows operating system can only be used on the computer which the manufacturer installed it.  If can not be transferred to another computer.  

Please read the following Forum rule.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

But the thing is that there are no preventive measures according to this

"Thank you for using Microsoft Answers forum.  Your product key will work for up to three separate computers, so if you want to install the the RC on another PC, you can re-use the same key."

However, I did find this (Below) and I see your point. I'll gladly purchase a key of my own in the future for this PC. For now the free windows 10 installation with the watermarks will suffice until I can afford a new key.

"I realize that in the past, you could get away with installing one copy on multiple machines because MS never had anything in place to check if the same key was used on multiple computers. Doesn't mean it was right or legal... it just means you got away with it. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users