Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp 2nd Partition Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:14 PM

I have an HP pc that i am working with. This HP is a machine that is no older then 2 years. The drive has 2 partitions. One is the standard partition with all of its OS/data etc. The 2nd partition is that of the Recovery partition. You can access and use this partition by hitting F10 at system post. Once in it you can restore al lthe factory software and settings. HP does this so there are no recovery discs required or given with the PC. Well as stated this hard drive has bad sectors on it. I want to Copy the 2nd partition to the 2nd partition of the new HDD and simply use the recovery console. HP said it can be done using partition software but that is where my problem lays. I tried to ghost the hard drive but it crashes almost immediately after starting the ghost because of the bad sectors. i have already tried to make on the new drive 2 paritions and copy the contents of teh original drives 2nd partition onto the new drives 2nd partition. all i get there tho is non system disk etc. HP wants me to pay 60 USD for a recovery disk set. Any ideas on how i can make a duplicate of the recovery parition alone? thanks for help.

salshroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

I have used an option in Ghost that ignores bad sectors with a Disk to Disk copy. Although if the disk is really bad that option will fail.

Have you tried that setting?
JC

#3 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

I have the dos version where i boot with a 98 boot disk. Then at the a:\ prompt i type ghost. after that i do disk to disk copy. but it comes up saying cant create ghosterr.txt filea nd then tells me bad sectoprs and i click ok. it boots me back to a:\ prompt

I see the partition to partition copy now, but im wondering that wheni finish this and put the new drive in the pc will it boot?. i copied the contents before using windows and i ernamed the partitons to be the same. hoping this would work . otherwise i have to spend 60 for restore cds. hp should really think of a better way to do this. like keep using the restore cds.

Edited by salshroom, 30 August 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

Instead of just typing ghost at the command prompt...

Try ghost -fro

According to Symantec, this should continue cloning even when source disk or partition contains bad blocks.
I also think there is an option menu after the Ghost menu is loaded, but my Ghost disk is back at work....
JC

#5 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Yes i seen the different options etc for this specific kind of thing hopefully it will work.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

Okay, let us know. Good-luck.

:thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic