Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Occasionally, the backspace and 2 keys won't work on my laptop keyboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Buccura

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

I have an ASUS X550J laptop running Windows 8.1, and sometimes the backspace and 2 keys will randomly not register my presses, even if I hold the key down. I took it in to get looked at and it seemed to fix it for a while, but just now it started up again. Is this a known issue, and is there any known fixes?

Edited by Buccura, 21 January 2017 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,449 posts
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

If replacing the laptop keyboard is not an option, you can purchase a usb keyboard for next to nothing these days.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Even if just the slightest amount of moisture has gotten under the keypad during previous cleaning of your device, this could cause intermittent or even total malfunctioning of certain keys. I speak through experience as I now have to use a USB keyboard on my Samsung notebook after being foolish enough to engage in some slightly over-exuberant cleaning of my device many months back.

Edited by robby501, 21 January 2017 - 06:16 PM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users