Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

connection dropping sporadically

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 katz840

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

I believe my problems started after my last update on win10. I will be online and suddenly a page will come up showing that I'm offline.  My icon still shows I'm online most of the time.

Here's where it gets weird.  I've discovered that it I click my wifi, it will show up as connected, secure but if I click and turn it off, when I click to toggle back on 7 times out of 10, it will come back on. Occasionally, it will through an Airplane mode on, even though I have it turned off in settings. when this happens I usually have to BOTH unplug/replug my modem and reboot my laptop.

To further confuse things, if I'm not on my laptop, it stays on. Other than my lap top, I have a tablet. a phone and 2 rokus.

I am not positive if it was due to the win update. I have been reading different forums and haven't seen this problem.  I have read that people are having problems with Airport mode taking over wifi but it sounded to me that they were shut completely off once the airport thing took over.

I think my post will give ya'll something to ponder about.

Thanks for listening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,161 posts
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Open the Device Manager, scroll down to Network adapters and click/tap on it.

Double click/tap on your wifi adapter, then click/tap on the Driver tab.

Select Update Driver, click/tap on Search automatically for updated driver software.

This will start a search for a newer driver in the operating system and online.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 katz840

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

@Arachibutyrophobia  Thank you for your reply. I've been googling for answers to my problem as well, and I've seen your fix several times.  When I go to Network adapters I see 10 different adapters listed:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC 3160

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

WAN Miniport (IKev2)

WAN Miniport (IP)

WAN Miniport (IPv6)

WAN Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

WAN Miniport (PPTP)

WAN Miniport (SSTP)

I went through and did updates on all of them. Each of them showed as having the best driver, that everything was up to date. Nothing has changed...I keep going off line.

My problem seems to be different from the ones that I've seen.  I am on line and won't realize I am not on until pages start taking forever to load.  My wifi on the bottom of my screen shows connected.  My modem shows connected. I'll go to a blank page, pull up speedtest (because you can tell immediately if you are not connected because it will show a dinosaur not connected page) from there, I will click my wifi button on my bar at the bottom, which also will show CONNECTED/SECURE. I click the button to turn off wifi, then turn it right back on. Most times this works. I can tell it works because the speedtest page shows loading, and the dinosaur disappears.

What I've seen in my searching of forums is  that  the problem that is being asked and addressed is airplane mode problems. What I have learned from these, there is no way to delete airplane mode.  Occasionally, I'll get the airplane showing that I am in airplane mode. When this happens, my regular wifi is not showing clickable in my internet button.  When this happens I have to reboot my computer. I also unplug/replug my modem.

I figured out my "quick and very temporary" fix by trial and error.  I know just enough about computers to get me in real trouble.

Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users