Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my 2006 white iMac if not turning on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jacobpem

jacobpem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

hello people my intel iMac (white) will not boot when i press the power button the led says on and the fans run at maximum until i force the iMac to turn off i have tried resetting the sac pram nvram etc... can anybody help? also i have changed ram and still no luck thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or from an external drive (i.e. connect an external drive and holding down the Option key) or boot from an optical disc (i.e. put in the OS restore disc that came with the Mac and hold down the C key while powering up)?

Does anything appear on the screen?

I would suggest taking it to an Apple Store (assuming you have one close to you), but they likely won't touch as it is old enough to be a Mac that is no longer supported and thus they will not repair it. You only option (other than trying to fix it yourself) would be to try to find a independent repair shop (preferably one "authorized" by Apple, but not completely necessary).

At first blush, it appears it might be dead.  The question is whether it might something that is dead that can easily be fixed (such as the hard drive) or if it is something more expensive/tough to fix (i.e. motherboard or PSU).  Generally, speaking if the mobo on a Mac goes, you are typically better off just getting a new Mac as getting replacement mobos for Macs can be expensive.  

As an example, my 2009 17" MBP died this last year. I was 99% sure it was the motherboard (as I tried all the easy things), but took it into the Apple Store near me. They tested it (the tech had to get permission because they no longer support, aka repair, such old Macs) and it was the mobo. It would have cost me about $700 to get a new mobo for a 7 year old laptop. Since I had actually gotten a new MBP a year ago, it was not worth it...even though I did still love that old 17" MBP (with a matte/non-glossy screen) for something)...it was basically heading to retirement mode anyway before it died due the new MBP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users