Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Update Vista error code 8024A000

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robertsonroro

robertsonroro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion m9426f desktop.  I recently had to replace the hard drive and reinstall windows vista 64 bit.  Windows update stopped finding updates for me and is only telling me windows could not search for new updates, error code 8024A000, when i clicked on get help, it says "you have lost your connection to the windows help and support website, try to connect again", but never connects.  any idea on how I can fix these problems?

also, I have a download for microsoft office 2010 that says "this installation package cannot be installed by the windows installer service. you must install a windows service pack that contains a newer version of the windows installer service. 

Here are screenshots of the installed updates I was able to perform

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:46 AM

Did you check your Windows Installer version? It is msi.dll file in Windows/System32. It must be 4.5. If not, you could try to install it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8483

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#3 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

hello,

My msi.dll is version 4.0.6000.16386   there are multiple files listed in the link provided, I tried to install the Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu and received the message "installer encountered an error :0xc8000247

Edited by robertsonroro, 22 January 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#4 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

Some people report similar problems on the net after replacing HDD. Some of them solve the problems by installing Intel Rapid Storage drivers. However there aren't new Vista drivers from Intel anymore. The old name for these drivers is Matrix Storage Manager. I'm not sure if that would solve your problems. But you could check your driver version and install the latest one from Intel web site. The one on HP web site is still v.8.6.3.1004 for your desktop.

Link for latest version 8.9.0.1023 from Intel (IATA89CD.exe):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17882/Intel-Matrix-Storage-Manager?product=55005

Updating to the latest one wouldn't harm your system.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#5 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

have an HP Pavilion m9426f desktop.  I recently had to replace the hard drive and reinstall windows vista 64 bit.  Windows update stopped finding updates for me and is only telling me windows could not search for new updates, error code 8024A000, when i clicked on get help, it says "you have lost your connection to the windows help and support website, try to connect again", but never connects.

Hi robertsonroro:

According to the support article Windows Update Error Code List, error code 0x8024000A means "COULDNOTCANCEL Cancellation of the operation was not allowed."  It sounds like Windows Update might have been trying to prevent an update session from being aborting while it was performing an important task.

...also, I have a download for microsoft office 2010 that says "this installation package cannot be installed by the windows installer service. you must install a windows service pack that contains a newer version of the windows installer service.

...My msi.dll is version 4.0.6000.16386

The system requirements <here> for MS Office 10 notes that MS Office 10 cannot be installed on a Vista machine until Service Pack 1 (SP1) is installed.  The support article MSI 4.5 natively included with SP2 for Windows Vista & Server 2008 also notes that "After installation of SP2, the Windows Installer version on your machine will be 4.5.6002.18005."

After you reinstalled Vista, did you download and install the standalone service packs SP1 (KB936330) and SP2 (KB948465) or did you run Windows Update to try to bring your OS up-to-date?   It's difficult to tell from the .jpg images in your original post if SP2 is installed, but if you aren't sure, go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System and see if Service Pack 2 is listed under your Windows Edition.  

Assuming you have already installed both service packs, please note that many Vista SP2 users are currently having difficulties running Windows Update, and users performing a clean re-install see the problem appear as soon as SP2 is downloaded and installed.  Please see the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a possible workaround if SP2 is installed.  Please don't try to install MS Office 2010 or any other Microsoft product like MS Silverlight or the MSE antivirus program until your Vista SP2 OS is fully patched again, or this will slow down your Windows Updates even further (see comments about MS Office in Note 6 of the instructions).

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 23 January 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#6 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Hello,

After I reinstalled vista, I used the windows update for all updates until it stopped working. It never installed the SP1 or SP2.  I tried to manually install the service packs after and when I tried to install service pack 1 I received the message " an internal error occurred while installing the service pack.  error code 0x8000FFFF

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hi robertsonroro:

I'd be happy to post some links that should help you get SP1 and SP2 installed again (note that SP1 is a prerequisite for SP2 and must be installed before SP2), but it's going to take quite a bit of work on your part to get your machine working correctly again.  Before we go any further, are you certain that reinstalling Vista SP2 is the best way forward for you?

I just noticed your 19-Jan-2017 thread Can't connect to internet after installing new hard drive and see that JohnC_21 helped you to update some of your hardware drivers.  He mentioned in that thread that Microsoft is ending all support for Vista SP2 (i.e., no more security patches for Vista SP2 and the IE9 browser) on 11-Apr-2017.  Many software manufacturers have already declared that they are pulling support for Vista SP2 in a few months (that includes support for my Firefox browser) and Vista SP2 will be obsolete (and very insecure) in a few months.

I also checked the support page for your HP Pavilion Elite m9426f <here> and the "latest available" 64-bit Vista drivers and software all date back to 2008 or 2009.   My Vista SP2 machine is a HP Pavilion dv6835ca laptop and the drivers posted by HP on their support site are so out-of-date that I've had to download a few updated drivers directly from the manufacturer (e.g., for my NVIDIA graphics card) to fix the occasional problem with BSODs and WiFi connections.  User devilus raised a good point in post # 4, and it's possible that the Vista version of your Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver isn't working correctly with the new hard drive you just installed.

Have you considered that this might be a good time to either upgrade to Win 7 SP1 (which does not reach the end of extended support until 14-Jan-2020) and try to squeeze a few more years out of your current machine, or even purchase a new or refurbished computer?  There are a few reputable online sites that still sell legal copies of Win 7 SP1, and Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor should tell if your hardware and devices are compatible with Win 7.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 24 January 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hi robertsonroro:

Further to my previous post, there are two threads pinned at the top of the Windows Update board in the VistaForums by forum administrator Brink titled:
     Why SP1 may not be available for you and how to get it
     Download available for Standalone Vista SP2

Start by trying the download link for the 64-bit version of Vista SP1 (KB936330) suggested by Brink in that first thread (note that the Five Languages Standalone installer for SP1 is over 400 MB in size).  If you still have problems installing SP1 then post in that VistaForums thread, and be sure to mention that you recently installed a new hard drive (see the aside below).  Brink monitors that thread and he should be able to help if you run to problems installing either SP1 (which is a prerequisite for SP2 and must be installed first) or SP2.

Once you have managed to install both SP1 and SP2, come back to this thread and we'll see if we can get you fully patched to January 2017 per the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours.

Additional Information:

Today's hard drives have a self-analysis feature called SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology).  Diagnostic software like Piriform's free Speccy will display detailed information on your hardware and important software components, including the the SMART status of your hard drive.  If you don't want to install Speccy on your hard drive, Piriform also offers a portable version on their builds page at http://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds that you can unzip and run from a USB thumb drive. The support article Publishing a Speccy Profile to the Web explains how you can publish a snapshot of your Speccy profile (File | Publish Snapshot) on the web if you ever want someone to review the results of your Speccy diagnostic.

Attached File  Speccy Hard Drive SMART Status.png   44.63KB   0 downloads

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1 * Speccy Portable v1.30.730

Edited by lmacri, 25 January 2017 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users