Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with potentially reviving a "semi-bricked" LG Optimus V

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hello All,

I purchased an LG Optimus V not long after they were introduced. The device was never used for mobile phone service as I already had a phone and was replacing a Palm Zire as Palm OS was reaching its end of life. It came with Froyo on it and after I had it for about a year I rooted the device.

It has since been replaced and had been being used as an MP3 player (but it was handy to be able to take a quick peek at e-mail, etc.) and hummed along for several years doing that. Then one day, when I went to turn it on, it would not boot up. When the device is off and plugged in to the charger, the battery charging state (battery with flashing bars showing how charged until at 100%, then they stay solid) behaves as it always has. When I try to boot up, I get the LG icon splash screen followed by the "big" Virgin Mobile splash screen with music, followed by the black screen with the small Virgin Mobile icon in the center and there it sits. It will stay on this screen until the battery runs out or you pop it out.

Since then I have tried getting into recovery using the hold HOME plus Volume Down plus Power Button technique and I can get in to the stock recovery. I have tried wiping the cache partition (which shows it worked) and a wipe data/factory reset (which claims it worked) but when I try to reboot I get precisely the same behavior as described in the last paragraph.

So, I thought I might try loading a custom ROM, but any attempt to do that fails saying that there is no such file or directory but also adds that signature verification failed and installation is aborted.

I gather I need to load a custom recovery first, but have no idea how to do that with the phone in its current state. I can still bring up the stock recovery mode, though.

This is really a "can I do this" sort of project rather than driven by any real need. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to proceed, or knows that proceeding is actually not possible, I'd appreciate the input.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Brian, you may get a better response at an Android Specific board.

http://androidforums.com/threads/lg-optimus-v-will-not-boot-or-enter-recovery-mode.521789/

http://androidforums.com/devices/lg-optimus-v.2683/

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

John,

Thanks.  I've already joined xda-developers to ask about this and androidforums may be next.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

Some additional information.  After downloading Android Studio, which includes adb, I ran an "adb devices" command in Command Prompt and the MEID for my OV that's connected is returned with the designation "offline" afterward.  What that means, precisely, I don't know, but I figure that someone else might.

~ Mark Twain

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

I am now able to communicate with the device via adb but cannot seem to get su to work (it had been rooted, and clearly USB debugging is still in force).  I was able to use adb to make the device reboot into bootloader but then that stuck, too.

Tried fastboot, but it just hangs saying it's waiting for any connected device.

I feel like I'm either really close to solving this, or at a point where someone who knows more about it can tell me I'm toast.  I'm waiting to hear back from the folks at AndroidForums about my never receiving a registration confirmation e-mail that will allow me to post there.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users