Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safer banking method ..?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

Seeking advice on which way is safer for online banking.

1. Currently using Windows with Chrome or Firefox , and as many banks now advise, use Trusteer Rapport when banking.

2. Using the Safe Banking features of Internet security suites like Norton or Kaspersky, however Rapport cannot be used with them.

3. Using Operas free VPN,  but Rapport does not support using Opera ( only IE,Chrome and FF)

4. Using Linux, said to be much safer / virus free; no need to run any av programs or scanners, so many say.

But if not running an AV program etc all the time, how do you know if you are infected or not ; I mean  they are not going  to  pop up and say look I have infected  you, unless ransomware  ?

... or anything better ?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Run a live linux disk. See this thread

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631115/banking-online/?hl=+banking

#3 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks,  seems a linux cd is still favourite.

Been looking at those threads  but which distro to choose, so many  ? :unsure:

Seems like the hardened Ubuntu Privacy Remix was a good one , but its not from Ubuntus site but  from Discreete Linux, never heard of them before ?

Have dabbled with Mint, but recent  online comments about his ISOs being hacked puts me off using for anything really secure.

Puppy seemed  like the original recommendation, but that was back in 2012, still a good choice.

Don't want to become an Edward Snowden, any thoughts on a good one to use ?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Puppy is the distro of choice for a banking CD but I would start a thread in the Linux Forum or post a reply in the thread I provided a link to. Somebody in the linux forum will answer any questions you have.

Edit: There are current versions of Puppy. Ask in the linux forum which version to use.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#5 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Will do,

Many thanks.

#6 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

FWIW: Trusted End Node Security (TENS) / Lightweight Portable Security (LPS)

https://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

Edited by 1PW, 22 January 2017 - 08:53 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#7 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

FWIW: Trusted End Node Security (TENS) / Lightweight Portable Security (LPS)

https://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

Thanks, since looking around a bit more, have seen some reviews on  LPS, but some comments about how well supported it is these days.

Interestingly FireFox would not allow that lipose site to open.

As I'm just starting with Linux and not a fast learner . so have been working on the tutorial for a Puppy live disk as JohnC suggested, seems to work fine with the inbuilt PaleMoon browser.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561869/how-to-create-a-secure-multi-session-puppy-cd-with-updatable-firefox-browser/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users