Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi And Thanks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hi bleekingcomputer.com,

Forgive me for not posting sooner. My computer problems are taking a ton of my time. I am doing all that “Grinler” suggested and what my HJT expert (FZWG) from pcpitstop is recommending.

This forum and pcpitstop are great places to get help with computer problems and I thank all you “guys” for the work you do to help people like “too old to be a geek” me.

Thanks,

adkron :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

Hi, adkron.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hi tg1911,

Thanks for the welcome. I can see why you are a forum addict.

adkron

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

You think I'm a Forum Addict?
Check out Grinler's stats. :thumbsup:
Profile: Grinler
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Once you get your computer clean, the best thing you can do is to spend some time learning about malware and how to protect your computer; having several layers of software protection, and understanding how malware gets on your computer in the first place, will go a long way in preventing further problems. Reading some of the BC Tutorials, and spending a little spare time reading some of the forum threads, will pay big dividends.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hi jgweed,

I have been doing my homework and reading the BC Tutorials.

With FZWG's help at pcpitstop my computer is running faster but I still have too many programs on my C drive that have to go. I'm just not sure which ones. I deleted a few and the following has happened.

I’m having a couple of problems the Microsoft’s Word.

1. When I click help and than Contents and Index I get the following message:

Cannot find the wdmain8.hlp file. Do you want to find this file yourself?

If I click no I get:

Cannot find the wdmain8.hlp file. Check to see if the file exists on your disk. If it doesn’t, you need to reinstall it.

I do a search and the following occurs:

I get WDMAIN in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

I don’t know what to do from here.

2. I am seeking help from because whenever I start up Word my start page has a x in the upper left hand corner. I delete it but it comes back each time I start Word.

How do I get rid of the x and how do I get my Help back?

Thanks,

adkron

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

adkron,
Please post your question, in the appropriate forum, with a thorough explaination of the problems you're experiencing, along with:
Operating System (XP Home, XP Pro, etc.)
Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)
Antivirus
Spyware/Malware programs
The exact Error Messages you may have received
What was done to try and correct the problem
etc.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

The easiest way to correct the problem is to re-install Office, which will include the Help files you may have deleted by mistake. This should also, I think, fix the template problem you are having.

Be very careful about deleting bits and pieces of applications from your hard drive, unless you are positively sure they are not needed by the application; keep to the install/uninstall programme in your control panel, and delete by whole application what you don't need--or use--from there.

If you have questions about whether something should be deleted or not (I am talking about applications here) then please post the candidates in another forum (most members would not look for posts about problems here in the Introduction forum, so it would easily get "lost").
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 September 2006 - 01:46 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. If I can't fix the problem I will ask for help at the appropriate place in the forum.

adkron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users