Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk C Security Permissions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

Hello,

I recently reinstalled windows and I discovered I couldn't save files in C:\. (Btw my account is that of an administrator) After googling I tried various solutions because nothing seemed to be working. In the end I discovered that it just needed a reboot to work. One of the things I did was give all users full permissions through the Properties>Security tab of Disk C. Now I am a little concerned whether that was a good idea. 

Which permissions can I safely disable? 

I tried to disable them all again but got a warning that made me question the wisdom of that.  

Can I remove ALL permissions for "authenticated users" and simple "users"? 

Do Administrators belong only to the group of Administrators? If yes, I could probably disable all permissions from all other groups. Is that correct?

The other thing is that the Administrators permissions were already fully enabled before I messed with the permissions of other groups. So I am not sure what solved my problem of not being able to save on C. I also run a command on cmd, which I no longer remember... (because I found it on google). So maybe that did the trick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

My question...is why do you want to start playing around with permissions?

What do you think that you will gain?

Louis

#3 FabricOfLife

FabricOfLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

What I hope to gain is more security.

What I hoped to gain, when I first messed with them, as I already mentioned, was access to saving files to disk C. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

I don't have anything intelligent to say about permissions and "security".  Others here might.

I only fiddle with permissions when I intend to share files/access via networking...or take ownership of files on a hard drive from a totally different system...and then, I just follow the yellow brick road laid by others online or in Windows re file-sharing.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2017 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users