Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will not update...dysfunctional

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:01 AM

I updated some of my machines, but one just will not do it. Someone recommended to run chkdsk.
So my machine initially said that there are no errors; that I don't need to run chk dsk. When I ran it anyway, "Windows found errors on the drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box and then repair the drive."
Typical MS completely unhelpful information. It's like being stranded in the desert - no useful info whatsoever after this.
Any clues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kronks2

Kronks2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

I woud run the system file checker for starters to see if systen files are OK.

Assuming you can run them.

#3 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Did you run chkdsk without switches? You need to run chkdsk /f to make corrections to the file system. That will require a reboot.

#4 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:59 AM

Have you tried DISM

Click start scroll down to the bottom click windows system right click command prompt and choose run as administrator once open type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You will need to restart and run again to make sure if it does find anything it is fixed

Also how to run a sfc scan as they say above

Click start scroll down to the bottom click windows system right click command prompt and choose run as administrator once open type sfc/scannow and press enter it may take a few mins and once done will tell you if it has found any corrupt files. If any problems are found you'll need to restart for any repairs to be made and once restarted you'll have to run sfc/scannow again to see if it has fixed the files sometimes it may take a few goes to fix anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users