Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Every time I re-install windows 10 comuter still infected

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JazB

JazB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

I struggled with no success at getting rid of a virus that just showed up after a Skype conversation with my son. I have windows 10, which has been trouble free from the time that I upgraded from windows 7. In the rush of saying goodbye to family Dec 30 Skype was left open for several hours and later, when I opened the computer it was on the administration desktop and there was a notice that a file had been downloaded and installed. Unfortunately I didnt copy the name of the file, instead I ran a virus checker scan, and when it didn't find anything I mentally shrugged and carried on. It was long before I found that I had problems. The first thing was I found that I was locked out of the network. The airline mode had been locked on and wouldnt let me take it off. The computer would hang up, or take you into a blank screen with just the mouse arrow. I tried a number of scans including Andrew from this site, but they didnt detect anything out of line.  

When I couldn't remove the virus, my next strategy was to install the back-up which I did only to discover I still had the virus. I not only had out of date files, the virus remained. After several more ineffectual attempts at getting rid of the virus I decided to re-install windows. My original version Had been the downloaded version from windows, so I bought a copy of the program. I moved all my files and photos to a mobile drive, deleted the partitions, built ne partitions, reformatted the partitions using the windows the disk tools in windows  administration, turned off the computer, pulled the power plug, clicked the start button, plugged it back in and restarted the computer. In cmos I switched the boot to disk, put in the windows 10 install disk, and loaded a new version of windows 10, only to find to my horror that the virus was still present.

My next attempt saw the use of partition magic from this site to wipe the disk and wiped all the hard drives using zeros, only to find that on loading windows the virus was still there. I then downloaded the Dos version of partition magic, ran the wipe dis, this time using the one that writes three separate times in each sector, deleted the partitions, reformed the partitions, turned off the computer, pulled the plug, clicked the start button several times, started the computer putting in the installation for windows 10 in and when I reached the disk part I formatted one of the SSD drives then installed windows. The virus was still there.

What does the virus do: Changes the passwords on local accounts so that you are forced to work in the administration desktop, it does not allow one to run certain tools such fix everything in one tool (this site), most security updates. It also seems to make subtle changes when installing, so I get the French version of the keyboard, instead of the US, so I canèt find the comma.

I have Windows 10, two SSD, and one older drive, an i7 processor and 8MB of ram

I am not sure what I can do from here. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I just cant understand how a virus can be so tenacious. If there is any way of sending replies to ravenforest@outlook.com I might get it faster, as the e-mail attached to this site is from my regular desktop, which I must delete and then rebuild to get into.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users