Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy ways to transfer large data to a new computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hello.

I'm planning on buying a new computer. I have about 120 gbs of data which needs to be transferred to the new computer. So before I buy the computer, I figured that I should decide how to transfer all that data.

So the most obvious way would be buying an external drive, right? I've thought of that but this is only going to be a one time transfer. You will probably say "Buy an external hard drive and make back ups, it's important.". And I know, I'm an archive maniac. But, because of the currency issue, what is cheap to you, is expensive to me. Seriously, I have to pay 200₺ to a product that you would pay 50$. So, it's an expensive thing. Mostly not necessary, because I use Google Drive to back up my important data.

What about the unimportant data? That covers about 100gbs of that storage. They're mostly movies and TV shows. Why do I store all of them in my Hard Drive? Because sometimes I have to go to a place where there is no internet connection, for about a month. So those things are there to, basically keep me entertained, when there's no internet connection around.  :smash:

So here's the question. I want to transfer about 110 gbs of data to a new computer. I don't want to buy an external hard drive for one time job. How do I transfer all those files easily?

>I've thought about using DVD's, but my DVD Drive doesn't work properly.

>Maybe I could borrow an external drive from a friend... But I don't have a friend who owns an external hard drive.

>I can maybe use a 16GB USB Flash Disk. You know, transfer 10-15 gbs at a time. That would be the most proper option here.

But I mean all of those options are so frustrating. Is there a way to connect 2 computers easily? Like, I don't know, can I use a USB cable for that?

All other suggestions will be <appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

See this video on connecting two computers with a LAN cable. There are many videos on youtube showing the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO6abAiLVZo

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Although you cannot transfer the OS from source to target, you can transfer all data folders and files via:

-- home network ethernet and/or wireless by SHARE-ing the appropriate directories; modem/router must be working  [previous poster and I were posting at the same time -- LAN cable is excellent idea!]

-- usb to usb cable and the appropriate 3rd party copy utility or Windows' explorer.exe

Edited by RolandJS, 20 January 2017 - 08:47 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

Note: Per this video if both computers have Wifi the transfer can be done without a cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fn5qnfvH38

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

Correct, however, having both options, ethernet and wireless, almost guarantees successful source to target copying.

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2017 - 11:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users