Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need some confirmation on campatible parts for my gaming computer.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

So I plan to upgrade my Ibuypower gaming computer I bought last year. It is indeed a nice rig, but I need to upgrade the graphics, processor, and ram to play some newer games coming out on decent settings. You can check out my computer's specs including motherboard on my profile, but I will post them if you all think it will be convenient. So here are the new hardware I plan to install:

Graphics: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 4GB GV-RX480G1GAMING-4GD Video Card            

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM                  

Power Supply:  Deepcool DQ750ST 750W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I may also add one or two more fans as well. Now I am posting this topic because I want to know if all of these components are compatible with my motherboard? I do not want a huge AMD vs Intel argument. I just want to know if these components will fit in my computer and work with it.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

From what I read on the motherboards documentation, the ram and processor are compatible, but I want to make sure.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

You haven't provided any information about your motherboard.

#4 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

As I said, I have that information in my profile, but I will post it since it has been requested. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#5 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

CPU and memory kit will work fine together but you also need to consider the mobo. It only has a 4+1 Phase count and max TDP of 125w which is barely enough to support the 8350 at default settings (125w).

Gigabyte is also known for buggy Bios issues (premature throttling due to over heating VRMs) and a 8xxx series chip will bring it to it's knees fairly easy. Depending on your cases air flow (or lack of) could be reason enough to cause throttling even at default settings when gaming. This happens a lot with the inexperienced 8350 owners (not meaning to offend you here).

I would grab a better mobo and depending on your cooling solution consider OCing and I'm sure you'll see a huge improvement over your current setup performance wise.

You currently have a Big Boy chip and a budget mobo, these are what I would recommend for that chip

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83ZH4959

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851&ignorebbr=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877&ignorebbr=1

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#6 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

If I have to buy a whole new motherboard then I might as well get a whole new computer.  I am not going through the trouble of getting a new motherboard just to install a few components. That is too much work on my end and I have never seen anyone build a computer from scratch to feel confident enough to do so. Is there perhaps another AMD CPU I can get that would be "safer" for my motherboard?

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 21 January 2017 - 12:46 AM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#7 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Oh and I do not overclock. I just play at the base CPU settings or let it go into turbo drive.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#8 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

But I will add the ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard to my shopping cart and think on it. Though this computer did come pre-installed with Windows10 so a new motherboard would mean I would need to buy a windows 10 license.

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 21 January 2017 - 12:46 AM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

But I will add the ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard to my shopping cart and think on it. Though this computer did come pre-installed with Windows10 so a new motherboard would mean I would need to buy a windows 10 license.

It probably means that yes.

If you are buying new motherboard anyway, I suggest waiting for couple of weeks to see what Ryzen has to offer.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 January 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#10 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:19 AM

This site is good for what you want https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ Its a fantastic site you can build a whole pc and it makes sure it is compatible oh and gives the best price for that item.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

Don't forget to add reliable affordable external media and free or pay-for version of Macrium Reflect or something similar for routine backups.  Any computer probably, eventually, will have to do a restore of the OS partition or data partition.  Better to have restores than not to have restores.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 January 2017 - 06:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

It probably means that yes.

If you are buying new motherboard anyway, I suggest waiting for couple of weeks to see what Ryzen has to offer.

Yeah! I was thinking the same thing. The new AMD Ryzen CPU/APU is coming out soon and if I get a new motherboard, I might as well wait for that to come out first.

This site is good for what you want https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ Its a fantastic site you can build a whole pc and it makes sure it is compatible oh and gives the best price for that item.

Thank you for that info!

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 21 January 2017 - 05:51 PM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#13 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Don't forget to add reliable affordable external media and free or pay-for version of Macrium Reflect or something similar for routine backups.  Any computer probably, eventually, will have to do a restore of the OS partition or data partition.  Better to have restores than not to have restores.

I will keep that in mind as well!

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Wait for ryzen first before adding anything to your cart.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Wait for ryzen first before adding anything to your cart.

This, AMD will start catching up with intel in terms of performance and market share. You may find a better deal for a CPU when Ryzen comes out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users