Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I finally gotten the nerve and cash to build

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

as the topic and i was wondering if my fine leaned ladies and gentlemen to look over my "shopping list" and let me know the good or bads of this build please.  Any thoughts and critique welcome.

Intel i5 6600k 3.5hz quad core

deepcool captain 240 ex-white 153 cfm liqiud cpu cool pc

asus maximus viii hero atx lga1151 mobo

geil evo potenzo (2 x 8) 16gb ddr4 2400 memory

1. samsung 750 evo 500gb 2.5 solid state drive to store the o.s.

2. samsung 850 series 1tb 2.5 solid state drive to store my games and music

zotac geforce gtx 1070 8gb amp edtion graphic card

phanteks enthoo luxe afx white full tower

corsair rmx 850w 80+ gold certified modular aft pau

ms windows 7 professional full 32/64 bit

eset nod32 antivirus 2017 (1 year sub)

LG 25um58-p 25.0" 2560 x 1080 75 hz monitor.

hear froming from you'll!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Don't forget to add pay-for external media and free Macrium Reflect or something similar for routine backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

CPU: Zen is released in about a month so wait for it. 6600K build quality is abysmal

Cooler: Overclocking? If not, then air cooler is better choice

Motherboard: AM4 motherboards are miles better than LGA1151 ones as link from chipset to CPU is much less restrictive

SSD 1. Samsung 750 Evo is low quality SSD, also M.2 is better for OS

SSD 2. For storing purposes, HDD is much better choice

GPU: Your computer is coming to what use?

Case: Well if you like it, it's OK

PSU: 550W PSU is and will be more than enough

Monitor: 21:9 aspect ratio is bad IMO

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

Be happy - assembliing computers is not normally difficult or particularly challenging !

When mounting the mobo make sure the standoffs are (1) in the correct place and (2) correctly fitted. After that, careful attention to the mobo instruction manual as to what goes where will take you most of the rest of the way. And perhaps a little attention to tidying up the cabling afterwards.

Then check all your wiring once again before you take your courage in both hands and throw the power-on switch. Following this you should have a sucessful first boot.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

I agree with the notion of waiting for Ryzen, its only a month/months away

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:00 AM

thank you all and to you Mr. Drilling which mobo would you suggest a less restrictive mobo i was going to go with m.2 for my o.s but pick a part say that infiguration with the sata something something when 3 gb is used and the m.2 is populated???   my choice for monitor os wrong?  i though 1080p was the way to go?  this pc is going to be for gaming!  and i wasnt going to do any overclocking because like my first build im not no nothing of overclocking and besides have you seen some of the air cool set ups, they are as big as a outside aircondition unit...lol.  and as far as my choice for o.s if ms get there heads out butts and use 10 friendly toward older pc games i.e mass effect and such i wont have for the lost of support.  thanks

#7 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

thank you all and to you Mr. Drilling which mobo would you suggest a less restrictive mobo i was going to go with m.2 for my o.s but pick a part say that infiguration with the sata something something when 3 gb is used and the m.2 is populated???   my choice for monitor os wrong?  i though 1080p was the way to go?  this pc is going to be for gaming!  and i wasnt going to do any overclocking because like my first build im not no nothing of overclocking and besides have you seen some of the air cool set ups, they are as big as a outside aircondition unit...lol.  and as far as my choice for o.s if ms get there heads out butts and use 10 friendly toward older pc games i.e mass effect and such i wont have for the lost of support.  thanks

1080p is 1920 x 1080 pixels. You have a widescreen version which may be troublesome with certain programs that don't support it. If you want, you can have 3 1920 x 1080 monitors arranged like a widescreen monitor but hat will require a GPU with extra muscle and, in my opinion, it isn't worth it as you will be focusing on the main screen 75% of the time. For productivity purposes however (say you're coding and want the code editor on one screen, the output on the other screen and any research on the last screen). 

For your MOBO, wait for 1 - 2 months for the release of AMD Ryzen which is a new CPU architecture that may be better than intel's current CPU's. In terms of OS, Windows 10 (unfortunately) is the way to go as Windows 7 will not get any more updates from Microsoft in 2020. This means no security updates which may make it more vulnerable to hacking, no bugfixes, no optimizations and more. For air cooling, if you aren't over clocking then you just need a basic air cooler that won't be large. 

For now, wait it out for a bit until AMD Ryzen comes along. As intel have about 40% of their chip "space" taken up by integrated graphics, they aren't exactly designed for gaming which already have a decent graphics card. AMD Ryzen CPU's look to be more orientated to gaming which means more will be diverted to the actual processor and less to the useless integrated graphics.

#8 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

If im reading this correctly that  we all been building around a gaming cpu's geared towards and gaming mobo's?  and i went looking at you have posted below your post your rig specs, and i went researching around the internet and im very conflicted now very disallusion.  i really thought when it came to gaming builds, intel had it on locked down and in a million would ive consdered anything amd cause ive always was a gtx guy so amd never entered my mind but thank your for to what if read i have a "dont judge a book by its cover" look at things when it comes to what kinda build i want.  is there a site like pick a part out there that caters amd and intel builders?

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 22 January 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Not all of us, as such parts can be pricy and you dont need high end anyhow

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

If im reading this correctly that  we all been building around a gaming cpu's geared towards and gaming mobo's?  and i went looking at you have posted below your post your rig specs, and i went researching around the internet and im very conflicted now very disallusion.  i really thought when it came to gaming builds, intel had it on locked down and in a million would ive consdered anything amd cause ive always was a gtx guy so amd never entered my mind but thank your for to what if read i have a "dont judge a book by its cover" look at things when it comes to what kinda build i want.  is there a site like pick a part out there that caters amd and intel builders?

Yes intel is better than AMD for gaming as they have faster single core performance. AMD have realized this however so they are making new CPU's which are likely to pose a threat to the intel CPU's. My rig specifications have nothing to do with this topic anyhow so no need to pay attention to them. In terms of a site where you can make a list of a compatible parts, there is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ where you can see whether something can be built for a particular budget and if it's compatible or not. 

A useful thing would be to tell us what games you are planning to play, that way, we can help a little more accurately.

#11 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

well thats a can of worms...lol.  well im not going to join the v.r. crave.  im going to play games like:  both metal gears, and although its runs on this machine kinda stuttery the witcher 3, fallout 4, deus ex invisible war, drakensang and drakensang river of time, overlord II, the gothic and risen series,

etc just to name a few.  and surprises my current rig emachine...lol runs my copy of splnter cell the blacklist plays very wells i was surprised.  but all n all i would really like a gaming pc.

#12 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

well thats a can of worms...lol.  well im not going to join the v.r. crave.  im going to play games like:  both metal gears, and although its runs on this machine kinda stuttery the witcher 3, fallout 4, deus ex invisible war, drakensang and drakensang river of time, overlord II, the gothic and risen series,

etc just to name a few.  and surprises my current rig emachine...lol runs my copy of splnter cell the blacklist plays very wells i was surprised.  but all n all i would really like a gaming pc.

For now, please wait for AMD Ryzen to be released. At the very least, CPU prices will go down and you may be able to fit a more powerful processor in your budget if you just wait a month or two.

#13 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

am i waiting for the razen to have or to get a cheaper cpu?

#14 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

am i waiting for the razen to have or to get a cheaper cpu?

Well, it depends. If Ryzen turns out to be a failure then you probably won't get a cheaper CPU which really doesn't make a difference. However, if Ryzen is a big success then you can either get: 

A: A better CPU for the same price

B: The same powered CPU for a lower price

Another thing I forgot to ask is what is your budget?

#15 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

well it will depend on the build, im allowed to pick what ever parts to build with but i didnt decide on a keyboard, mouse/pad and optical drive.  then i can go fro there, i just did a build with a amd cpu and a amd mobo and what not and it came to 1717.  what i was looking to do do when i first posted was over 2192 and both i didnt add a keyboard mouse/pad and optical drive yet.  but i am leaning towards amd and the ryzen if and when it comes out cause i did more research amd it seems amd was more like it was build for gaming pc,  and if i lose patients i have a cpu and mobo picked out.  and most of the parts for the first build idea is in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users