Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Into Widows 10 UEFI Bios (Freeze)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Silly_Sock

Silly_Sock

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hey everyone,

This is far beyond my abilities to fix it seems. When I try accessing my Bios by pressing delete, or using the windows 10 boot menu, it freezes.

I have tried re-installing windows 10, full and reset, formatting the entire HDD and reinstalling windows, taken my laptop apart and tried resetting the Bios by removing the bios battery. 

Any help here would be fantastic, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

You are pressing delete repeatedly and rapidly during start up? Try pressing F2 repeatedly and rapidly instead.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Silly_Sock

Silly_Sock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

You are pressing delete repeatedly and rapidly during start up? Try pressing F2 repeatedly and rapidly instead.

Thanks for the reply and advice Rocky. Just gave that a try, no luck I'm afraid.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

If easily accessible I would remove your hard drive and see accessing UEFI freezes the computer? If it does then you have a hardware and not a Windows problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#5 Silly_Sock

Silly_Sock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

If easily accessible I would remove your hard drive and see accessing UEFI freezes the computer? If it does then you have a hardware and not a Windows problem.

Given that a try already removed SSD & storage drive. Even tried without ram which obviously didn't work. Cheers for the suggestion, though!

#6 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

What brand of laptop is this?

#7 RetroRender

RetroRender

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

This is crucial to finding any issue related to a specific problem. For instance, my Alienware Alpha has had the same problem your Laptop is currently having.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,514 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

This is crucial to finding any issue related to a specific problem. For instance, my Alienware Alpha has had the same problem your Laptop is currently having.

Yup, because the key that causes UEFI to be invoked during boot can and does differ by brand.  On my HP laptop it's ESC.  I wrote a post long ago regarding this, UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#9 Silly_Sock

Silly_Sock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yup, because the key that causes UEFI to be invoked during boot can and does differ by brand.  On my HP laptop it's ESC.  I wrote a post long ago regarding this, UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop

Sorry for the late replies. I managed to corrupt my Windows install trying to fix my bios lol. It's a MSI GE60 2PC Apache Laptop.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/ge60-2pc-apache.html

Attached Files

Edited by Silly_Sock, 23 January 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#10 RetroRender

RetroRender

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Judging by the research done with this model, A lot of people have had to have it sent back because something with the BIOS just plain died.

I will suggest one thing: If by some chance of luck the Graphics Card is removable, try that.

#11 Silly_Sock

Silly_Sock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Judging by the research done with this model, A lot of people have had to have it sent back because something with the BIOS just plain died.

I will suggest one thing: If by some chance of luck the Graphics Card is removable, try that.

Hey Retro,

Really? I never knew that! I thought it would be more known when you google the laptop. My bios used to work. Already removed the ssd and d drive. I can't, or want to try, to get to the graphics card. :(

Not looking good!

#12 RetroRender

RetroRender

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Hey Retro,

Really? I never knew that! I thought it would be more known when you google the laptop. My bios used to work. Already removed the ssd and d drive. I can't, or want to try, to get to the graphics card. :(

Not looking good!

If it's out of warranty, And the BIOS really is screwed out of order, I'd say salvage what parts you can and just apply them to a new build. It's what I did with my old Laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users