Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A problem with a freezer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I'm hoping someone can explain what is causing the problem, and how to fix it.

I have a six foot (or so) tall freezer (made by Hoover), that I've had for years. It's a pure freezer (no fridge part), with a few shelves, then two drawers, and finally a white bottom pull out compartment, and the fridge has one door that you open to access the whole thing. I've no idea when I bought it (I'd say at least five years back, but it could be three times that), but it's always worked fine, it contains food, and is opened at least once most days. Hence why I don't know how old it is - it works, so I just take it for granted.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I realised that it wasn't closing right. When it closed right (i.e. as it had for x years before now) then the door couldn't be opened for a few seconds. You closed the door, then if you tried to open it again (using reasonable force, not trying to break it) then you couldn't, until a few seconds had passed, then you could open it. But now it doesn't do this, and when you close it, then you can open it straightaway.

So I took the drawers out (including the bottom compartment) and the freezer now closed properly (i.e. when closed you can't open it for a few seconds). So I thought it must be ice build up that was preventing a drawer from fully closing and so preventing the door from fully closing, so I removed all the ice but the problem persists. There's no ice preventing the drawers (and the bottom compartment) from fully closing, and I'm certain that the drawers and compartment aren't stopping the door from physically closing, since they seem to be a few millimetres away from the closed door. But the fact is, if there are no drawers or compartment in the freezer, then it closes properly (i.e. when closed the door is 'locked' for a few seconds), but if even one drawer or the compartment is in the freezer then the door doesn't close properly (i.e. when you close it, you can immediately open it again. And yet up until a few days ago the door closed properly, with the drawers and compartment in. I have to stress here that I'm certain that the drawers and compartment aren't physically preventing the door from closing, but I've no idea what else could be causing the problem

Also, I don't know how the door is 'locked' for the few seconds. I assume it's vacuum locked, as I can't see a physical lock inside. I can't see any damage on the seal, and there's no blemish or blockage on the door or the freezer (and if there was, it surely wouldn't explain why the door locked when no drawers were in, but did lock when the drawers were absent). I can't see any problem with the drawers' runners, and anyway, the freezer doesn't lock if even just one draw or the compartment is in place.

Any ideas or suggestions, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Maybe put the exact make and model of the freezer that would make the problem easier to maybe find a solution.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

The slight vacuum seal is normal.  Check the rubber seal all around the door edge.  Even feel with your fingers after being closed for a bit to look for a cold spot where the air is leaking.  The drawers should be checked to be sure they don't disturb the seal area.

#4 Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

Maybe put the exact make and model of the freezer that would make the problem easier to maybe find a solution.

Sorry, I didn't do that as I thought it wouldn't matter (since I assumed that freezers with the quick-lock function would all work the same way), and I was hoping not to have to move the Freezer to see the back (where I assume the make and model number would be printed). Fortunately, the problem seems to be fixed now!

The slight vacuum seal is normal.  Check the rubber seal all around the door edge.  Even feel with your fingers after being closed for a bit to look for a cold spot where the air is leaking.  The drawers should be checked to be sure they don't disturb the seal area.

Thanks for that! Someone suggested cleaning the seals *thoroughly* , so I did, and now the freezer works fine again, the lock feature now engages as it should. I'm not entirely sure how this could cause an intermittent problem, but it's fixed, so I'm happy.

#5 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

That's good it's fixed. It is just easier to look a make and model up for known faults/problems than try a random guess on general items.

I used to have the opposite of this problem my dog used to open the fridge door and eat all he could and stash the est around the house, I found lard under my pillow once and all sorts of stuff down the side of the sofa he always said it wasn't him to haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users